Mead clarity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melite

Reaction score
I just wanted some opinions on my first batch (strawberry mead). Is it cloudy? i should wait and see if it gets more clear?

Attachments

• mead2.jpeg
    mead2.jpeg
    74.5 KB · Views: 0
  • mead.jpeg
    mead.jpeg
    59.6 KB · Views: 0
Mead has the capability of getting fully, 100%, crystal clear. I would call that still a bit hazy.

How long has it been sitting? I don't think about packaging my mead until 6+ months. You may consider racking it into a smaller vessel(s) for further resting so it has less airspace.

Mead has the capability of getting fully, 100%, crystal clear. I would call that still a bit hazy.

How long has it been sitting? I don't think about packaging my mead until 6+ months. You may consider racking it into a smaller vessel(s) for further resting so it has less airspace.
it's been sitting just for 2 months. But i have read that when it's a melomel it may not clear at 100%. or it may take a long time. But since it's my first mead i did not know what to call "clear".

If i bottle it, will it continue to clear? i dont have another glass vessel to rack it

Clear is clear.

Yes, it will continue to clear in the bottle. Use care when pouring into the glass to keep the sediment in the bottle.

Pectic enzyme might help fruit-derived haze to clear.

For future batches, you may consider a larger vessel for primary fermentation. I make up 1-1/8 gallon batches and ferment in a 2gal food safe bucket. After a few weeks, I rack it to a gallon jug for long-term aging. This gives me a full gallon in the jug, little headspace, and the gross lees gets dumped.

Yeah, that's still a bit hazy.
Cold crashing it in your refrigerator might help it clear faster.

If you are impatient, there are fining agents available. Time will usually do the job for you, but not always.

If you are adding fruit, you may want to add pectic enzyme 12 hours before you plan to pitch your yeast. Pectic enzyme - NOT pectins. You want to break down the pectins in the fruit and not add to them: I make jam and never add pectin because most fruit has more than enough pectin to make jam. The pectin in the fruit is a protein that forms chains and it is these chains that reflect light and make the mead or wine look hazy. Pectic enzymes cut these chains into tiny lengths. You can still add pectic enzyme to the alcohol but know that alcohol tends to denature this enzyme so you need to add at least twice or three times the amount you would normally add before you pitch the yeast. Note too, if you are adding fruit and not just fruit juice, the pectic enzyme will extract far more juice from the fruit with far less effort on your part - and so seasoned wine makers routinely add pectic enzyme when they are fermenting fruit.

Back