Mead Beginner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trainguy

Reaction score
Howdy Folks,

I'm looking to make my first batch of mead, but in my area no one makes it. I have tried "Chaussers" mead and like it very much. Can you guys give me some basics on "How to make Mead?" I would like to make a 3 gallon batch.

Thanks in Advance trainguy

I'm also a beginner, having just started my first batch of mead yesterday. You could try what I did, and order a kit. I ordered a kit from Northern Brewer (a raspberry melomel), and it's working out fine. Do you have any brewing equipment? If not, you'll need a few things (fermentor, airlock, racking canes, tubing, sanitizer, etc.). If you have a local homebrew or wine-making shop, they can also help you select equipment and put together a recipe, but if not, you can get everything mail order.

A good source for making mead is Got Mead.

In fact, they have a series called 'The Newbee Guide to Making Mead' which is very helpful.

An alternate source is a book by Ken Schramm: The Compleat Meadmaker I bought it, and it's also very useful.

Both sources should have sufficient information to get you started. I've got a batch of mead fermenting right now.

I just yesterday recieved a Mead Kit from Northern Brewer. I got a Blackberry Melomel. The directions were alittle lacking, I'm use to Wine Kits that have very detailed instructions. Question for you, in my directions they say wait for the Specific Gravity to maintain constant for a few days in a row but doesn't give an approx. time frame, do you have any idea? I have an intermeadite Beer/Wine Kit for equipment and I also have 2 3gallon carboys in addition to that kit. I plan on making two seperate Melomels, one 3 gallon batch of Blackberry and another 3 gallon of Apricot or Peach. I ordered enough extra Honey to make the extra amounts.

Back