Mead and Oak (and maybe other woods)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thechemister

Reaction score
So with many wines and some meads I've seen people put oak chips in it. I guess that kinda simulates the taste of wines aged in oak barrels?

If I'm making a 1 gallon batch of mead, could I just put a solid piece of oak in there to get the same effect? If so, should I do this during the fermentation, while it's aging, or both?

Also as a side note, what about other types of wood?

My batch is going to be sort of Christmas-y; it's got cinnamon and ginger. So what if I used pine? I feel like the aroma of pine would go really well with it, but I don't know if there are other things to consider. Feedback please and thank you!

So with many wines and some meads I've seen people put oak chips in it. I guess that kinda simulates the taste of wines aged in oak barrels?

If I'm making a 1 gallon batch of mead, could I just put a solid piece of oak in there to get the same effect? If so, should I do this during the fermentation, while it's aging, or both?

Also as a side note, what about other types of wood?

My batch is going to be sort of Christmas-y; it's got cinnamon and ginger. So what if I used pine? I feel like the aroma of pine would go really well with it, but I don't know if there are other things to consider. Feedback please and thank you!
Why not use pine ?

Maybe the same reason that pretty much all barrels used for booze of any kind are oak ? Which might have a little something to do with not affecting the taste of the booze in a negative way ?

Or make it taste like toilet cleaner .........

Spruce beer:) Best to maybe start out with real winemaking oak chips and not just toss some from your backyard in there. I think Jack Keller tested some different woods in his country wines. I have heard of people using mesquite but I dont have any growing around here so havent played with it. Try not to poison yourself:) WVMJ

I would question the taste for using pine. Oak is used primarily because of it's positive effect on the mead.

Also, there are several methods of using the oak.

Oak Type: French Oak, Hungairian Oak, and American Oak: I use american oak personally.

Toast level: Light toast, Medium Toast, Heavy Toast.

Shape: Chips, Cubes (sometimes called Beans), Spirals

Many people use chips due to the surface area to mead ratio is higher. That is why that chips infuses faster. Some like cubes becaues it takes slightly longer and is more controlable and easier to remove. Spirals are sometimes used for more than one type of toast level and can be more complex of a flavor. I would not recomend a solid block due to the fact that the surface area contact with the mead will be low. Thus it will take a lot longer. This is also why barrel aging is done over a period of several months. It's MUCH slower and they combine the aging process with some oak infusion. I think that the benifits of oak first started in wines and was an accidental improvement on the wine. When applied to Mead it has a much more pronounced effect and a much more positive effect.

Also, from having done three 5 gal batches with three different toasts of oak, I can tell you that there is a big difference in the level of oak and the flavor. Each brings a different flavor profile that should be matched to what you are going for. Light toast will produce the least noticeable flavor with a light almost floral or fruity taste, Medium will bring a mellow almost vanilla like taste, and Heavy will bring a nice smokeyness to it that is reminicent of some scotches. So the flavors you have in the mead should not compete. Personally I like chips in a hops bag. The timing of the oaking some say is not a very big deal. Personally, I do it at the last stage as it's clearing. Prior to final clearing and final racking.

Matrix

Ahh why didn't I think of that? Thanks. Also what about a clove or maybe a pinch of nutmeg? There are so many ingredients that would work well, but I don't wanna overload it.

Back