maybe i need help. maybe i don't?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Certainteed

Reaction score
trying to be a wise newb, i pinched a recipe from northern brewers all-grain kit area. its their cream ale recipe.

by the way this is my first all-grain, and my second attempt at making beer.

it wasn't until after i had this concoction in the fermenter that i went looking for more information about the recipe. i found this link:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/recipe-critique-needed-cream-ale-75998/

ok now i notice something is wrong: the recipe on the nb site doesn't list corn or sugar. so i don't have corn or sugar in mine. argh.

its in secondary. its very clear. but it tastes as the grains smelled. its a great smell. not such a great taste. the beer is currently very boring and not worth the time it takes to pour.

should i try dumping some sugar in and letting it work?
should i just bottle it and hope for the best?
is it normal for all-grain to smell all-grainy?
should i just pour this mess down the sink and try again?

thanks a lot

trying to be a wise newb, i pinched a recipe from northern brewers all-grain kit area. its their cream ale recipe.

by the way this is my first all-grain, and my second attempt at making beer.

it wasn't until after i had this concoction in the fermenter that i went looking for more information about the recipe. i found this link:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/recipe-critique-needed-cream-ale-75998/

ok now i notice something is wrong: the recipe on the nb site doesn't list corn or sugar. so i don't have corn or sugar in mine. argh.

its in secondary. its very clear. but it tastes as the grains smelled. its a great smell. not such a great taste. the beer is currently very boring and not worth the time it takes to pour.

should i try dumping some sugar in and letting it work?
should i just bottle it and hope for the best?
is it normal for all-grain to smell all-grainy?
should i just pour this mess down the sink and try again?

thanks a lot

sugar will only add abv and add a slightly cider taste
corn meh i have never used it wont add much in flavor.
your beer is still young... never dump it unless it tries to eat you when you look at it funny....... i would let it primary for at least 3 weeks bottle let it sit for 3 more weeks and enjoy.
all grain fermenting smells like well beer. what process did you use?

I do not believe the corn sugar is really going to add much to the beer except to act as a gravity boost. If sucrose sugar is added in large quantities it will likely impart of cider taste, desired in some beer styles an dreaded in others.

As far as the smell, I find that most of my beers smell a lot like the last minutes hops that are placed into the wort (last 10 minutes of the boil).

I would never throw it out until you give it a chance to age. If you need the space at some point then get rid of it, otherwise give it to the friends you dont like so much when the come over and keep the good stuff for yourself.

If worst comes to worst, you could always bottle half (or all) of the batch with some sort of flavor extract to spruce it up a bit. I don't know how a fruit cream ale would taste, but it's worth a try. Or even vanilla. Or some wood chips (yes I know it's not an extract lol). Or some spices...get creative. I've also seen honey used in cream ales as well. You could boil up a small amount of that and toss a bit in, though it would ferment it out a bit drier.

...All you need is a little inspiration. Radical Brewing style.

If it's less than 8 weeks since you brewed the beer, don't worry. Flavors will change.

It sounds to me like you need to dry hop it. Cream Ale is not the most exciting beer, more of a lawn mower beer. I'm not saying Cream Ale is bad, it just doesnt have very bold flavors.

DONT DUMP. Bottle. Drink.

Might not be the best....but its still beer. Consider it a learning experience and try again!! and again and again!

Thanks for the advice. Its been in bottles for a week and I can't stay out of it. All it really needed was carbonation.

Next time I make this I'll divide the hops into 75%/25% (1 oz pellet) and hop for 60 and 15 minutes. Its a bit too bitter as is, and has no hop aroma at all.

Its kinda heavy for what it is. I'm new to this so I'm guessing here: the corn probably lightens the body. I may add some if it doesn't alter the flavor.

I like a little tanginess and was thinking about souring the mash. I don't want a lot of sourness so I'm thinking 8 hours would be ideal. Thoughts?

Back