Max ferm temp for Lambic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irrenarzt

Professional Homebrewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just racked a 3 month old lambic onto apricot for an extended aging along with some Belgian sour mix, B. Brux and B. Lambicus. I had pitched sacch, B. Lambicus and Pedio to start the primary fermentation and there is definitely some Brett and Pedio notes in the nose.

Question is I have 2 spots I'm using now to ferment besides my ferm chamber which is full right now with a couple non sours. One is 64 F and the other is 76 F. My question is how hot can you go with a Brett fermentation? Is 80 too hot? I can't seem to find anything other than go over 68 F. I've done only one Lambic before which was a Framboise. I don't recall taking it over 68-70 F but that was over a year ago that it finished and I can't seem to recall.

Thanks in advance.

I think it depends on the strain of Brett, but from what I remember from reading Wild Brews the fermentation does get up there in the summer. They just let it go with the temperature of the seasons (to some degree) and I remember some line that was something like "all beers must go through a sick period" which was generally during the warmer months. I'm no expert, but I do have a gallon of saison with some brett added that gets up into the 80's sometimes. Haven't sampled it yet though. Hopefully some other folks will chime in.

I am positive brett and pedio will continue to ferment at warm temperatures. Otherwise, they would all die in the summer in the wild. They do not, so there's no reason to think hanging out at a buffet in the 80s will do it to them.

ryane, who sometimes shows up here (I think his blog is ryanbrews.blogspot.com) recently answered this question that at higher temperatures you'll lose some of the complexity to the beer.

Back