Max boil volume in keggle.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suckmyale

Reaction score
Just curious what you think the max amount of pre-boil liquid one could safely boil in a half-barrel keggle?

It would be electric and I'd use something to control the foam/boilover.

Do you think 13.5g would be pushing it?

1/2 keg is 15.5 gallons so with 13.5 gallon fill volume, you'd have 2 gallons of headspace under the cut out lid, about 2.5 inches.

It's indeed pushing it a bit, but maybe just enough. You only want a good simmer, not a wild roaring, splashing boil. You can always start a little lower and top up with some last runnings during the boil, as it evaporates and the level drops.

You may end up with 12 gallons that way, after an hour boil. Boiling off 1.5 gallons per hour is about right for keggles outdoors.

I brewed a batch today in my e-keggle that was 13.6 gallons pre-boil for 12 gallons post boil. It's more like 1-1.5" of headspace at boiling temp.
I don't use anything to control boil over and it's a bit tricky but possible to babysit it and cut the element once the foam starts rising. Takes 5-10 minutes of element on/off/on/off before I can leave it on.

I can only speak to propane doing the same top off volume. No worries if you keep an eye on every hot break and hop additions (adjusting flame as needed). Otherwise.......boil over!

Back