Mattingly Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffmann808

Reaction score
I know a few people have brought up the topic of opening their own production brewery before. It also quickly gets mentioned the amount of work and time that it requires, which I think we can all appreciate. Anyway, Mattingly Brewing in St. Louis recently went out of business and is selling everything off for $125k. What could you do with this to make it a functional and successful brewery?

(Link above shows the listing for equipment)

*drool*

That's about as close as I can come to turning this into a project of my own. What I wouldn't give for a spare $125k and a plane ticket...

Their beer was pretty good, and the pizza was spot on. Would really like to turn this into my own business, but the $125k of venture capital is the issue..

I was a fan of Mattingly.

Just about everyone and there mother in that part of St. Louis is running a brewpub or craft beer bar. IMO Mattingly went out of business because it's location was considered worse than all of the other places within a few miles (Taproom, 33 Wine, Square One, Stable etc). So you either have to make spectacular beer (Mattingly was making very good beer, certainly better than Square One) or hope whatever makes people think that is a bad neighborhood changes.

Once you get inside it is about the perfect little brew pub, you just have to get people to come inside. That is where Mattingly failed.

Also, many people outside of the immediate area did not seem to know of them. I had a friend at SLU and a friend at Wash U, and neither had heard of it, and were shocked when I mentioned it. Marketing would have to be key.

Back