mashing with brutus ten

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akardam

Reaction score
I have a certain point that concerns me with the brutus ten setup. It has to do with the mashing phase. I don't know if you all are familiar with it, but for those of you that are, don't you think that recirculating the mash will cause the wort to oxidize?
that is, there is a pump that transfers the liquid/wort from the bottom of the mash tun through a false bottom and returns it through a valve placed on the lid of the tun. The wort would then exit the tube on the top of the lid and splash onto the surface of the of the grainbed/wort mixture. Correct? According to Palmer, splashing during mashing phase may result in long-term oxidation of the wort. Does anybody agree? If so, any quick fixes to the Brutus configuration to overcome this?

I use a manifold that distributes the return wort gently in four different directions about an inch under the liquid level so there is no splashing or turbulence.

Wow, what a waste of copper.

+1 That's a ridiculously over-designed contraption without a doubt. I use an "H" shaped vertically adjustable distribution manifold. It works for both circulating the wort and to distribute the sparge water. Made it out of cpvc for a cost of about $6 or so.

I circulate the wort at a much higher rate than a trickle. I have not actually measured the flow rate, but I pump as fast as I can without compacting the grain bed. I have not experienced any oxidation problems whatsoever. I do try to minimize splashing of the wort and the manifold helps a lot with that. I position the outlets so that they are about half submerged. That way i can eyeball the flow rate, yet it's gentle enough that there is no splashing. With four 1/2" ID outlets on the manifold, the flow volume can be relatively high while the velocity remains quite low.

The wort would then exit the tube on the top of the lid and splash onto the surface of the of the grainbed/wort mixture. Correct?

Not correct. The wort goes through the lid into a curved copper tube to the inside edge of the pot, at or near the surface of the grain bed. There is no splashing.

brutus83.jpg

I use a piece of silicon tubing that floats on top of the grain bed and curves with the keg to achieve a slow whirlpool like the brew-magic uses. Works great and there's no splashing.

how do you achieve the floating part? with some kind of floater foam thing for example? or do you just estimatethe approximate distance from the top of mash tun to the 'estimated' top of your grain bed each time you brew? or it doesnt really matter?

I just cut a length of tubing that I felt would be the right size, there's no foam or anything that makes it float it just rests on the grain bed. I'll see if I have a pic

Back