Mashing in Round Kettle vs Rectangular Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upthewazzu

Reaction score
I've been using a Coleman Extreme 52quart rectangular cooler with a 12" mash screen for the last few years, but I've recently bought a 15gallon Spike brewing kettle to use as a mash tun. I'm wondering if there is any difference in the process in the cooler vs kettle. I currently batch sparge (and will continue to do so), and have occasionally run into stuck sparges. Is this a bigger issue with a round kettle and false bottom? Should I be dialing down the flow rate when emptying into the boil kettle? Any pointers would be appreciated!

If you got the spike false bottom. Its great. I got a 30 gallon version and only do 10 gallon batches. I havnt had a stuck sparge yet.

If you got the spike false bottom. Its great. I got a 30 gallon version and only do 10 gallon batches. I havnt had a stuck sparge yet.

Yes, I ordered the spike false bottom and center dip tube to go along with the kettle. Glad to hear you aren't having any issues. I will be doing 5 gallon batches, so I assume I'll have plenty of space.

With batch sparging, MLT configuration doesn't make any difference, as long as you stir aggressively, and vorlauf at least twice the volume under your FB (if any), prior to run off. You're just trying to insure that the wort has a uniform SG throughout the entire volume. Then you can run off as fast as your MLT will drain without sticking.

With fly sparging, a FB is the best configuration to avoid channeling, which is the most likely cause for poor lauter efficiency when fly sparging.

Brew on :mug:

Back