Mashing full boil volumes.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brieuxster

Reaction score
I am not a beginner, however I do have a question about brewing equipment. Please forgive me if this seems obvious, IAMA Grandfather with not enough coffee perhaps?

I have newly insulated Sanke: keggle and hlt.

I am wondering about making a thin mash. Last batch, I did not have any idea of the volume of water I mashed in with and added some more hot (above target) when the temperature was a bit low. I heated the total water required above temp. I mashed for 60 min.

Beer did result! I did have a lower amount to sparge with. At the correct temp.
What if any problems could result from not following the instructions in this way?

I'm not sure what the issue is. Is it that you mashed with more water than expected and sparged with less than expected, that your mash was too hot or variable in temperature, or both?

If just the former, I wouldn't sweat it. Sparging is not necessary, though it does increase efficiency. If the latter, you may end up with a higher FG (if too much heat was the issue) or worse. It all depends upon how hot it got and when.

Thank you, I did not have a problem with mashing thin and sparging less I am just wondering if any problems would occur and if I can roll this way all the time.

Back