Mashing and waiting before adding yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PereFecto

Reaction score
Hi

I dont have any chiller, so I wondering if I can mash tonight and brew tomorow while the wort will have time to chill out over night ?

Many thanks

actually you want to chill AFTER the boil. which you are planning on doing tomorrow. for that i suggest cooling as fast as posable to limit chill haze. a block of dry ice in a tub of ice water works fairly good. definitely put a wort chiller on your wish list.

Hi

I dont have any chiller, so I wondering if I can mash tonight and brew tomorow while the wort will have time to chill out over night ?

Many thanks

By 'brew', do you mean 'pitch the yeast in order to start fermentation'?

Is this an extract kit? No boil?

This an all grain, I want to mash tonigh and yes, pitch the yeast tomorow because I dont want to wait till 2 AM for the wort to chill enough. Can I do this or I should pitch the yeast as soon as possible when the wort is cold enough ?

when a beer is cold it may be hazy but when it warms up to room temp the haze goes away. this is called chill haze. you cant taste it and its only a visual problem. its caused by proteins that need to be "shocked" out of suspension by rapid cooling.

you can just let it cool over night you will just have hazy beer. if this is not a problem for you then by all means let it cool over night. just keep in mind the longer you let the wort sit the more you are risking an infection. you should be ok with letting it sit over night. i would recommend leaving the lid on the pot while you let it cool.

It sounds like you are missing a step.

1. mash
2. ***boil***
3. chill
4. pitch

some people mash and wait overnight, and then boil in the morning. there are threads on here about this. There are also people who mash and then boil, and then chill very slowly in a plastic container. This is called the no-chill method.

Ok, I think I'm merging 2 step then. Im still new, and not always used with english terms.

So my first step will be to "mash" tha grain into a kettle at 155 degree or so for an hour, then extract the wort from the kettle and let it rest in a brewpot till it chill out to room temperature. Then pitch the yeast.

Am I still missing one step ? I did this before and it work, and this is the way they told me at my local store. Has I said, maybe the word I'm using arent the right one, but the step seems complet.

its sounds like you are using the word "mash" correctly. you mash in a "mash tun", this is usualy a beverage cooler. you soak the grain in 155 degree water for an hour. then you transfer the wort to your brew pot. then you wash the grain again with 170 degree water and drain that into your brew pot. then you bring the wort to a boil and begin adding your hops. after an hour boil you chill your wort. in your case i would just turn off the heat and put the lid on the pot and let it sit till cool.

After the 1 hour mash, you drain the extract into the brew kettle. You then boil that extract, which is call "Wort". A typical boil time is 60 to 90 minutes. Hops are added at the beginning of the boil to add bitterness to the beer. More hops may be added later for hop flavor & aroma. The timing for those additions vary depending on the recipe, style of beer, etc. After the boil has completed, you then cool the wort until it has reached a temperature close to the temperature at which you want to ferment. At that point, you add the yeast to the wort.

The confusion seems to be that you correctly described the mash step, by left out the boil step.

Good luck with your brew & Cheers,
Glenn

Ok I see what part is missing then, or the one I combined. Let see what I've been told to do, or maybe what I understood.

-Take the grain into a boiling kettle at 150-160 for an hour. which is the mash.

-Actually, Im addind the hop in mash at various time ( bittering for 60min, and flavour the last 15-20 min depending on the recipe )

-I'm extrating the liquid from the grain after this.

-Let it chill and pitch the yeast.

From your explanation, I understand I should take the wort from the mash tun and then boil it again with the hop.

Also I should wash the grain with an other "batch" of water at 170 ( probably to extract the maximum of malt sugar and stuff).

Many thanks for all your help !

You're missing a couple of steps. First, hopping in the mash will NOT give you any bitterness at all. So, don't do that.

Mash the grain for one hour. Sparge (rinse) the grain with fresh hot water at 170 degrees until you get 6.5 gallons.

Take the 6.5 gallons and BOIL it. For one hour. Add your hops during this time.

Chill the wort.

Pitch yeast.

You must boil the wort. If you don't, you'll just have an infected, sour, mess.

Many thanks for all your help :mug: I have done only too batches from now, and I did'nt work the "boil" part, and my beer were'nt too bad. So I can imagine they will be perfect when I will do all the proper step :mug:

Thanks again !

Latest posts

Back