"Mash" your beans !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casebrew

Reaction score
NOT to make frijoles.

The homebrewer next door and I have made a break through is de-gassing beans.

After I read some where that the gas is made by the biota in our guts eating the undigested long chain starches, we tried this:

After soaking an appropriate time (overnight, or several hours if kept warm), turn the crock pot to the lowest setting, aiming for a starch rest. 140f? For an hour or two. Then crank up the heat, and add the rest of your recipe. Good beans later that day, no waking up cold that night because the blankets had been blown off the bed. And no taking flight on the rocket blast the next day either.

You can also cut the amount of starches by draining & rinsing the soaked beans before adding them to the pot.

You can also cut the amount of starches by draining & rinsing the soaked beans before adding them to the pot.

Have you done a Papazian, and tasted every step of your process?

I really don't think the water has much of the starches in it. Unlike mashing grains that have been milled nearly to flour.

Maybe next batch I'll try an iodine test?

Well, when soaking dried beans overnight, the water does get a lil hazy, but not much. Drain, rinse & use fresh water to slow cook the beans. It does definitely cut the gas production by a good bit. But I've never done tests before cooking & after for starch. I just know it works from experience.:tank:

Hmmmm, very interesting! I always soak overnight, rinse, cook til nearly tender, then add the other goodies. I almost always add some dried epazote too, which has carminative properties (anti-flatulence) and the combo of what we're doing seems to work pretty well.

However, next time I cook beans, I think I'll soak overnight, drain, add water to just cover, use my sous vide to keep a steady 140* or so degrees for a couple hours, then proceed! I like kitchen experiments!

My mom used to add a spoonfull of baking soda to the beans & it would fizz briefly & turn the water sort of green, then she'd change the water & simmer for a few hours. She claimed this made the beans less gassy.
Regards, GF.

Back