Mash WAY too thin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr0506

Reaction score
Hey All,

I've read some other threads on this topic but I've seemingly screwed up more than anyone else that has posted ;). When calculating my liquor volume for my mash today I totally spaced. I was aiming for 1 1/4 quarts per pound of grain but instead totally forgot to divide by four and ended up with a calculation of GALLONS per pound. It's a small batch (3 gallon boil) but I've currently got 5+ gallons of water mashing with around 3 pounds of grain.

I have a 3 gallon boil kettle so I can't physically get all the wort into the pot. Is there anything I can to to compensate for this?

You may have to boil down twice to get to the volume you want. Check the SG after the mash is complete to see what your extraction is.

Thanks for the suggestion. I sort of went that route and found a stock pot that I am using to boiling all of the wort and then hopefully I can combine the results. Thanks for the advice!

Might be a little tannic. This is why for extract brewing, they say you should steep your steeping grains in about 2 gallons of water instead of full volume. It messes with the pH of the water and will leach tannins. Just a forewarning if you think it tastes off.

Might be a little tannic. This is why for extract brewing, they say you should steep your steeping grains in about 2 gallons of water instead of full volume. It messes with the pH of the water and will leach tannins. Just a forewarning if you think it tastes off.

Volume of liquor is not really the determinate factor. Tannin extraction is a combination of both high temperature, near 170°F+ and pH about 5.9 and higher.

If I were you I'd pull off the amount of wort you can handle as a batch, add DME to bring it up to your expected SG, aand proceed with your boil. Repeat as many times as you have fermenters.

Volume of liquor is not really the determinate factor. Tannin extraction is a combination of both high temperature, near 170°F+ and pH about 5.9 and higher.

This, I know. I guess I was just resiting an oft quoted piece of advice, especially in extract brewing. Perhaps it's a farce. I did do it once, steeped my steeping grains in full volume, it was ever so slightly tannic...but it might've just been that it was a dry stout too...or it aided in that flavor profile...one or the other.

This is true but a high volume of water with a low volume of grain can drive the pH up because there is not enough grain to buffer the large volume of water.

Latest posts

Back