Mash water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzski

Reaction score
I if I have 3 lbs of grain is use something like 16.25 quarts for the mash?

I think it depends on the set-up. I've only mashed using the BIAB technique, but with that technique, the general consensus seems to be 1 to 1.25 quarts of water per pound of grain.

That's somewhere between 3 and 3.75 quarts for 3 pounds of grain. 16.25 quarts would be way too much.

Whoa... no. Think more 1.25 - 1.5 QUARTS per lb, not gallons.

Although it sounds like you are doing a PM. Lot of guys do PM a little different since there aren't a lot of grains and hence, a low volume. Check out deathbrewers PM sticky at the top for a reference - I think he uses a standard 2 gallon amount.

We need more details. 16 quarts no sparge implies at least a three gallon batch and I don't think you have anywhere near enough grains for that. So I assume you are doing PM. But no-one can answer questions fairly if we make assumptions.

So PM or all-grain? Sparge or no sparge? Batch size? Etc.

Then yes. 13lbs mashed in 16.25 Q would be a water-to-grist ratio of about 1.25 - which is appropriate for most styles and most setups.

Latest posts

Back