Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're using beersmith, there's a box that you put that amount in. Yes you do need to factor that in.

Is 1GAL of dead space a lot? How can it hurt your efficiency? Or it's not that bad because when you sparge at the end the water that is in the deadspace doesn't contain that much sugar?

It does seem high...mine in my tun is IIRC 1 quart. My Braid is slightly touching the bottom of the tun so it's pulling the fluid. I think I've heard folks having a half gallon...but maybe in a 10 gallon cooler a gallon is "normal" but I'm not sure.

I get about 1.5-2 cups or so deadspace on a 70 quart (17.5 gal.) coleman xtreme with the water supply braid, but the drain on those is sunk slightly below the level of the bottom of the cooler so between that and putting a kitchen towel underneath the opposite end, works out pretty well. I have only done one batch on it so far, but filled it up about halfway with 125 deg. tap water from the hot faucet to preheat, and with 12 lbs of grain only lost about 1.5 deg. over an hour once i got things stabilized.

What would you use a 5 gallon mash tun for once you upgrade to a 10 gallon. I guess it could hold sparge water. Is there any otehr use?

Latest posts

Back