Mash Tun temperature reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmoewes

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For my small batch setup I use a 2 gallon igloo cooler and am able to drop a dial thermometer with a 6 inch probe through a small hole I made in the lid.

Bit on my new 10 gallon cooler mash tun, I don't know what to do about monitoring the temperature. My current dial thermometer isn't long enough to hit the mash.

I guess I could drop a floating thermometer in there and just check it when I stir the mash (I usually stir about ever 15-20 minutes). But of course that means I have to open the lid to check the temp which seems counter productive. And runs the risk of breaking if I'm not paying attention.

What are the options?

The only long probe dial thermometers I have seen are for higher temperature ranges (the one for my turkey cooker is 24 inches long but ranges from 100-500 degrees) with limited scale.

Any other suggestions?

I have a digital thermometer that I use only to get the temp. at the beginning and end of the mash time. With my Igloo @ room temp., I add 12-13 degrees to my mash temp when putting the water in an usually hit my mark. Then I close the lid and wrap the cooler with a blanket for extra insulation and maybe lose 1-2 degrees at the end of the mash time.

I have a digital thermometer that I use only to get the temp. at the beginning and end of the mash time. With my Igloo @ room temp., I add 12-13 degrees to my mash temp when putting the water in an usually hit my mark. Then I close the lid and wrap the cooler with a blanket for extra insulation and maybe lose 1-2 degrees at the end of the mash time.

Sounds like maybe I don't really need to worry as much??

I suppose that with the smaller mass on me 2 gallon cooler mash tun I lost more heat or maybe I just obsessed more than I needed.

I wouldn't worry,just take the initial temp to hit your mark, cover, and wrap with a blanket. Take your temp at the end and you should be good at the end. Some people even put hot water in the tun first to pre-heat it and then dump and mash as needed.

Back