Mash tun size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bock

Reaction score
Hi all, i'm an extract brewer and i want to change to all grain for my next batch!

I would like to know, wich size of mash tun ( cooler type ) should i need. I read that i should have somethig that give a good grain bed, so nothing to big.

I only brew 5g batch. I would like to try strong beer in the futur, so the mash tun need to hold it. But i brew more APA or IPA and these kind of beer.

I think about the 10 gallon beverage cooler but this is verry hard to find in Canada.. Home depot/ walmart etc.. only sell the 5 gallon one. I can found the coleman xtreme ( saw good comment about it ). Wich size should be fine for me and my needs?

Other question, i saw sparge o matic or lot of kind of manifold to fly sparge on round beverage cooler. Is there something for square cooler or user of square cooler do batch sparge?

I just finished to read the all-gain chapter of John j.palmer "How to brew" so this is really new for me! Thank you

I use a round cooler, five gallons and it's large enough for most batches. If I'm making a Wee Heavy, RIS or other really big beer, I augment it with malt extract in the kettle to get the gravity up. If you know you'll be doing big beers and don't want to use extract, you'll need the 10 gallon cooler.

A 5G tun will accommodate approximately 10-11lbs of grain and will get you beers up to about 1.060 IME, a 10G can handle up to about 23lbs of grain, although stirring the mash with that amount of grain can be a chore.

10g round cooler are not and option for me since i cant find them locally. If i take a 10g square ( like coleman xtrem ) is the grain bed will be good with only a 5 gallon batch in? And what aboutel all the dead space? Is it bad?

Easy way would be the roud 5 g cooler but i dont want to end up buying a bigger one in a couple of week! I try to found the best one for my need the first time. Thank you! But i will keep the option for the 5g that you said! ( mixing grain and extract)

Oh boy, here we go...

Just a heads up, this has been a topic of great debate among brewers. Lots of us are perfectly happy with our 5 gal coolers, others insist that it's a 10 gal cooler or nothing.

I much prefer the rectangular cooler for 3 reasons:

1. Easier to build a good manifold in this shape

2. The lid is hinged, MUCH easier to open to stir then a silly screw on round lid.

3. cheaper; I bought my 52qt Igloo new for $20

How about 2 5g round coolers? That way, if you are doing a higher gravity batch you can mash in both and when you are doing a smaller beer you can use just one.

I would think your grain bed would be a little shallow on small beers with the coleman rectangular but I have no experience with them.

Thank you everyone! I think i will look for a coleman xtreme but maybe not a 52qt. Something smaller since i will brew more 1.060 beer than beer higher than this. Is the manifold work better or the stainless steel line?

Thank you everyone! I think i will look for a coleman xtreme but maybe not a 52qt. Something smaller since i will brew more 1.060 beer than beer higher than this. Is the manifold work better or the stainless steel line?

Stainless steel line will only work efficiently for batch sparging. I batch sparge but I opted to build myself a CPVC manifold which has worked great for me. 70-80% efficiency mashes so far and my process is improving.

I use a round 5 gallon tun. It works really good for my 5 gallon batches. If you want to do 10 gallon batches its too small.

I like the 5 gallon size because when I put in my 12 lbs of grain and 3.5 gallons of mash water it is full to the tip-top. Then I put on the lid and it barely looses 1 degree f in 75 minute mash.

There are good online directions that show how to modify the spout for a brass pet-cock.

BTW - I struggled with the manifold in the bottom. Started with the SS round mesh - no good. I ended up with a hard copper manifold and I put in a bag liner. This is easy and always works. Never had problems draining tun after that. ... good luck, Mike

you said that Home Depot only has the 5 gallon cooler, can they order the 10gallon for you?

I vote the 52-qt rectangular cooler. I picked one up new for $20. Then proceeded to wreck my fun budget project by using a $17 bazooka screen, all SS fittings, ball valve, and quick release fitting with silicon hose. ~$70 later, I've got my "economy" mash tun. :mug:

I vote with the square one - found one a Academy Sports for about $15 .... Had to drill my own hole - but hey $15....

Back