Mash tun question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Assoc

Reaction score
I purchased a 20 gallon mash tun based on the fact I brew almost exclusively 10 to 15 gallon batches. However if I wanted to do a 5 gallon batch I find that grain bed is too shallow. Any reason I couldn't wrap a few bricks in foil and place them around the outside of the false bottom. Thereby decreasing the volume of the mash tun and allowing a deeper drain bed?
Any idea if this would work?

This seems like a pretty good solution to me. Let us know how it works out for you.

Cheers! :mug:

Not sure if it would work, also I'm fairly certain that the wort, would work its way under the foil at some point.. You could and I'm just spit-balling here.. but why not just have a small "igloo cooler" type MT for your 5G batches? Or do BIAB for those?

Good point about the foil. Also a good point about the igloo. However I didn't want to purchase a new false bottom and all the connections if I can find a solution that worked with my 20 gallon mash ton

Go out and buy a 10 gallon paint strainer, or a brew bag. Then you can use the other mash tun, but keep the grains in the bag for BIAB.

Yep, that would be the easiest solution.
My current setup is a single tier three vessel herms system. I'm comfortable with my setup and wanted to utilize my existing system if possible.

Rather than wrapping bricks in foil, just throw an extra pound of grain at the problem and take the hit in efficiency like a gentleman. Or just batch sparge a smaller batch and get a reasonable efficiency.

Sorry, but when one is contemplating bricks in the MT, it's time to take a step back.

Or perhaps heat the bricks and make a steinbeer perhaps even a step mash idk.

Cheers

Rather than wrapping bricks in foil, just throw an extra pound of grain at the problem and take the hit in efficiency like a gentleman. Or just batch sparge a smaller batch and get a reasonable efficiency.

Sorry, but when one is contemplating bricks in the MT, it's time to take a step back.

Or perhaps heat the bricks and make a steinbeer perhaps even a step mash idk.

Cheers

Haha stein beer!!

Back