mash tun question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soup4you2

Reaction score
First thanks everybody, I have learned so much lately just reading over the forums soaking in as much information as I can. Just finished my first 2 batches over the weekend (now sitting in the primary), a dark lager and a nice hoppy IPA that smells wonderful! :mug:

Now as i go forward i'm thinking of diving into AG after my next few batches and while looking at building out my mash tun i'm planning on using a standard igloo cooler. But i wanted to know which is technically a better option, the long rectangle style, or the tall cylinder style. I'm brewing 5 gallon batches and will most likely stay with that for some time to come.

Thanks!

Cylinder is the type i've seen most often. My LHBS has already modified orange round igloo style mash tuns sitting on the shelf.

If you are going to batch sparge, then a rectangular cooler with manifold or braid is probably best. They are cheaper, and it is easier to stir in the sparge water.
If you are going to fly sparge, then a cylindrical cooler with a false bottom is probably best. They provide a deeper grain bed and make changeling much less likely, but they cost more.

-a.

Coolers are fairly inexpensive. Go with a round one since you plan to stick with 5 gallon batches. In the future, you may want to increase production and then you'll probably want to buy a rectangular one. I've only seen round coolers a max of 10 gallon capacity. If you increase to say 10 or 15 gallon batches your grain bill (especially for a big beer) is probably gonna be more than what a 10 gallon cooler can hold.

As others have said it really depends, i have an Igloo one because im only ever going to be doing 5 Gallon batches...im too A.D.D. when it comes to beer and like to keep new flavors rotating on tap.

For me the Igloo was the better solution, mostly because of space. While i could have gotten a larger rectangular cooler for less money, they are way too big for what i need and would take up way too much valuable space in my brewing closet.

Back