Mash Tun question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorsemenRugby58

Reaction score
I built a mash tun out of a home depot water cooler, like the ones you would see on the sidelines of a football game, and used a water supply hose as a manifold.

I was wondering if a cooler that is the style of the one you would bring to the beach (rectangle) would make a better tun, or if there is any difference at all.... thanks.

+1 to the above. Both have been used with success. I use a rectangular one only because I was able to pick it up for a very cheap price.

+1 for the round Rubbermaid cooler. Picked mine (10 gallon) up at Home Depot for $20 last year during a clearance event.

I batch sparge so I was wondering if the taller sports cooler promoted more channeling of the sparge water than the rectangler coolers you'd bring to a beach, thoughts on that?

I prefer the round cooler and have brewed several all grain batches using it. I like the 5 gallon size because it's easy to move around, store and clean when done.

parts2.jpg

It easily holds 11 pounds of grain and channeling or stuck mashes have never been an issue.

Complete project parts list:
1 - Home Depot Store SKU # 442438 Rubbermaid 5-Gallon Jug with Cup Dispenser
1 - Watts 3/8 OD x 7/8 BC x 20 inch stainless steel braided filler connector
1 - Danco 80746 Moen Repair Kit 5/8 O rings
1 - Mueller 107-702 3/8 Ball Valve - Full Port
1 - Crown Bolt Inc. Create-A-Bolt 5/8 stainless steel
2 - Watts A-785 3/8 MIP x Close Nipple
1 - Watts A-773 3/8 MIP Square Heap Plug
3 - Watts A-298 3/8 Barb x 3/8 FIP Hose Barb Adapter
3 - Stainless steel 1/2 hose clamps

I simply converted the Coleman Xtreme cooler I already had... 70qt capacity means I'll be able to mash up to ~45# of grain at a shot.. Does a great job with only ~13# of grain too.

I think you'll find plenty of home brewers that use either cooler shape, and a wide range of sizes. It all comes down to either space limitations, batch sizes they're brewing, and what they plan on brewing in the future. Personally, I like knowing that I can mash a butt-load of grain at a single time. It gives me the freedom to formulate an all grain big barley wine recipe without needing to add any extract to hit my OG target. I just need to get a few more batches through it so that I can get a better idea of it's efficiency.

Back