Mash tun: metal supply hose vs false bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impossiblescissors

Reaction score
Hello all,

i'm new to all-grain brewing, but I'm getting a second-hand 5-gallon Igloo-style cooler with my eyes on converting it to a mash tun very soon. I've surveyed the many sets of plans for a DIY mash tun, and most seem to fall into one of two categories; metal mesh hose or false bottom. What are the advantages of one style vs the other? False bottom seems more sturdy in the long run, but I already have a 12" length of unused toilet supply line that I could use for this project.

Use it.
People have great results with the hose braid type.
Just put a spring within so it won't crush under weight or mash paddle, and attach it good for the same reasons.

I have a false bottom but if you already have a braided hose, use that, no cost to you for using it. If later on you feel it's not working for you, you can always install a false bottom.

As for the spring, make sure its a stainless steel one you use inside the braided hose.

I used to use the metal braid; found the longer the braid the better it works--never thought to put a spring inside, though. For the bazooka tube... well, I'm not a fan of these in the mash tun. The surface area of the tube is rather small and the weight of the grains more tightly compacts around it once settled in after a few rounds of lautering, which tends to have a sparge speed the equivalent of a trickle. Great for fly sparging, perhaps. Lame for batch sparging.

My new contraption is a combination SS mesh colander from BB&D and a bazooka. I flattened the colander to be less dome like and cut a hole in the side to allow room for the tube. It works awesome.

In the past, way back when I first went all grain, I used one of those "blooming" metal steamer "baskets". You know, the kind that fold in on themselves for easy storage. What I did with this was to simply allow it to sit open in the bottom of the cooler. It sat at an angle because it rested up against the bit of plumbing on the inside, but worked really well. I used a piece of high temp racking tube, sliced down the center, and slid over the edge of the steamer. This was done mainly because the steamer was slightly shorter fully open than the width of the inside of the cooler (because the plumbing would not allow it to fully open in that one spot) and partially to help keep the metal steamer from scraping the inside of the cooler. It also acted as a seal, further preventing grain from moving to the underside of the steamer.

The real reason for all of this is because finding a five gallon false bottom is the pits, and if one can be found, rather pricy in my opinion for what it is. This makes sense considering that five gallon tuns are not that popular as they limit the beers that can be produced if doing 5 gallon + batches (that is, good luck mashing a double IPA in a five gallon cooler unless you are only doing a 3 gallon batch).

I use a CPVC manifold that I made for 10 bucks using a design I found on here...consistently getting 75-80% efficiency and very easy to clean!

:mug:

The strongest water supply braids are from 3/4" water heater supply lines. They are only like 10 bucks at Home Depot and are very durable. Nothing required inside....much beefier than a sink or toilet braid and well worth the few dollars more.

I'm using a dishwasher supply braid, it's pretty beefy as well and doesn't recur any spring inside. Been using braids for a long time, and IME if you need something inside to support the braid, you have the wrong braid.

Also, watch out for the polymer braids....looks like stainless but it's plastic. A real SS braid will have very fine wires.

Super old thread, I'll revive it with a post!

Seems like most people go from the SS line to the false bottom seeking different results- well I found myself testing the other way around.

I got a false bottom kit and I seem to not like the way its working for two reason, which is why I will try the SS line on my next brew. For one, the false bottom wears into the bottom of the cooler, scratchng the plastic giving bacteria an area to thrive. Second, I have to drain gallons out to set the bed good enough to not get so many grains. Even tried 1 lb. Rice hulls additional no luck. Hope the line filters better, im going with a 30 in. Line and a double hose barb setup

Latest posts

Back