Mash Tun heat sink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crunch1224

Reaction score
Just a passing thought.

If one was to use say, a large granite rock or some other dense mass in the range of say 20lbs. Heat it to your 152f or what ever conversion temp you are shooting for and place it into your mash tun then add your biab strike water and then the grains.

Wouldnt the mass of dense material lose less heat over time, thus stabilizing your heat loss more effectively?

:pipe:

I am finding out that water is hard to beat for specific heat capacity.... NVM folks just had a brain fart thought I was onto something lmao...

You could probably do a bunch of calculations of how much heat loss the vessel would have and come up with a number for how many lbs, of granite were required to stabilize the temperature for an hour, or you just use a cooler, then relax and have a homebrew.

I know I know hehe, sometimes things pop into my head. Ok well more then sometimes hehe. I totally forgot just how good water was at holding heat.

I really don't know much about the process at all, but apparently "stein bier" is a brewing process that entails placing heated granite rocks into the kettle to heat the water to boiling. When it dies down, add another rock, and then another, etc...

I suppose it's possible.

Just a passing thought.

If one was to use say, a large granite rock or some other dense mass in the range of say 20lbs. Heat it to your 152f or what ever conversion temp you are shooting for and place it into your mash tun then add your biab strike water and then the grains.

Wouldnt the mass of dense material lose less heat over time, thus stabilizing your heat loss more effectively?

:pipe:

When I was a kid I heard a similar story, which then was called rock soup...This puts a whole new twist on it!

"Hey! I've got this magic rock that makes beer...":mug:

but seriously, It will help some if the heat transfer coefficient of the MLT is not very big , but it may throw you mineral calcs off a little.

Back