Mash Tun False Bottom in HERMS Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Normans54

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I built a HERMS system recently and I had a problem with my last batch. For the first time, I brewed a 10 gallon batch (American hazelnut brown ale) and the grain bed in my mash tun kept getting compacted, thereby restricting the flow of wort through the system to a trickle, making it impossible for my temperature probe to get an accurate reading (thereby effectively nullifying the value of having a HERMS system to begin with). I think I have narrowed down the cause to two potential things: the need to throttle back the pump so that there is less pressure pulling on the grain bed (likely the major cause) and my false bottom. Currently, I use a 10 gallon igloo cooler with a bazooka screen at the bottom, which is just barely big enough for a 10 gallon batch of a 1.060 beer. Consequently, I am thinking about switching to a domed false bottom, which might more evenly distribute the pressure of the grain bed. However, my system currently uses 1/2" ID silicone tubing and pipes, while every domed false bottom I have found employs a 3/8" barbed elbow fitting. My concern then becomes that this will restrict my flow rate. While I would be open to using a flat false bottom (which would eliminate the need for using a barb), all of them seem to be built for keggles or pots and are significantly more expensive than the domed false bottoms. Consequently, I was wondering if my concerns involving the smaller diameter barb are merited and if so, can I swap the barbed fitting on the false bottom by using a stainless elbow attached to a 1/2" barb that I have lying around? In the alternative, does anybody know of a reasonably priced flat false bottom that I can use in a 10 gallon round iglo cooler? Additionally, could there be any other causes/solutions to my problem of having a compacted grain bed that restricts the flow rate from my mash tun? Thanks!

The MT in my HERMS setup uses a 3/8 connection from the ball valve to my el-cheapo-domed FB. Never had an issue with the flow once the pump and hoses all prime up.
I would say the domed FB has been my go-to FB since I have gone all-grain. Cheap, easy and almost zero dead space. No issues here with using it.
When I fly sparge, I have both pumps barely open to get my flow matched up between the HLT, BK and MT so I am sparging for at least 60mins, but I could run it wide open with no problems flow-wise as well.

Honestly my only complaint with any flow on my system is with my inline Chugger Pump..I hate it. My center inlet chugger primes 10x better than the inline does.
Its on my to-do list to swap out for a new steel head center inlet to match my other one.

The MT in my HERMS setup uses a 3/8 connection from the ball valve to my el-cheapo-domed FB. Never had an issue with the flow once the pump and hoses all prime up.
I would say the domed FB has been my go-to FB since I have gone all-grain. Cheap, easy and almost zero dead space. No issues here with using it.
When I fly sparge, I have both pumps barely open to get my flow matched up between the HLT, BK and MT so I am sparging for at least 60mins, but I could run it wide open with no problems flow-wise as well.

Thanks for the response bbohanon. Two quick questions though: Are all your hoses/pipes 3/8"? I know that flow is restricted based upon the narrowest point and I would imagine that having wider tubing could create some concern with air pockets. Additionally, when you are circulating, how wide open do you keep your throttle valve to avoid compacting the grain bed? Thanks!

I also recirc through a HERMS system using a false bottom with the 3/8" barb and can run full throttle open no problem.

Other stuff to consider:
Check your grist ratio. Should be at least 1.5 qts/lb.
Always use at least some rice hulls.

But mainly, don't try to recirc through a bazooka screen, that is going to be a PITA.

-TK

I also recirc through a HERMS system using a false bottom with the 3/8" barb and can run full throttle open no problem.

Other stuff to consider:
Check your grist ratio. Should be at least 1.5 qts/lb.
Always use at least some rice hulls.

But mainly, don't try to recirc through a bazooka screen, that is going to be a PITA.

-TK

Same here..I have yet to have to use rice hulls (but should have on my last hefe batch as it did slow down to a trickle due to the amount of wheat involved), but this is spot on with my setup and the cheapo dome FB with the 3/8 barb, hose and FB.

+1 to the rice hulls

And - did you change the gap in your mill?

I just bought a Monster Mill, and set it to the 'conventional' gap
and got a beautiful crush! Crazy Efficiency! but a stuck mash !

My LHBS sets it gap wide enough so i never got a stuck mash before
Well, now i gotta add more rice hulls, or change my gap - and loose efficiency

just saying..... did your Milling change in any way ?

Steve

I mill a little finer than the LHBS would with my grain mill, but it's not enough to stick a sparge to date.

Just remember that when you restrict the flow, restrict it on the Output side of the pumps, NOT the input side or you'll damage your pump.

Latest posts

Back