mash tun cooler recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airving

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm in the market for a new cooler for my mash tun. The one I've got now isn't dedicated, doesn't insulate terribly well, and the drain position leaves a few quarts of wort behind when draining. I'm looking for a rectangular cooler with (ideally) a recessed channel leading to the drain, ala the Coleman Maxcool shown in the home brew wiki here (other images on the parent page there show the label).

Unfortunately, having examined a Maxcool at a store recently, it looks like they're not made with that channel anymore. To be fair, the model pictured on the wiki has no wheels, while the one I viewed personally did - it's possible that because of the wheels and handle (not a factor either way for me) the design is different. Not only was there no channel, the drain was angled up 45 degrees - my bazooka screen wouldn't be ideal here.

I could always go for the 10 Gott / Rubbermaid and a false bottom, but I'd prefer to be able to re-use the bazooka screen if possible.

Pictures online typically don't show the insides. Has anyone seen a cooler for sale recently with a recessed channel for the drain, in the 40-60 qt range?

I have been considering a new larger one. I was looking at Igloo Maxcold versions but haven't been able to see the inside of one yet, but they don't look like they have angled drains.

Back