Mash tun (cooler) question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmserapi

Reaction score
im about to build a mash tun out of a cooler...and i wanted to know what you guys think will work best....i need to decide if im gonna buy a round 10 gal cooler or a rectangle shaped one....i hear it's hard to stir the malt in a round cooler....also, does the braided stainless steel type manifold work the same as those pvc or copper manifolds? thanks for any suggestions

I've got a Coleman Xtreme 70 qt with a SS braid manifold. I went with the Xtreme because it was significiantly cheaper (and larger) than a 10 gallon round cooler.

Unfortunately, I haven't used it yet (aiming for the end of this month), so I have no input on how well it works.

I haven't used mine yet, either, but I used a rect cooler, too. I am not really that handy and I quickly put together the fittings and manifold with pvc (not Cu anyway) and even without a Dremel I quickly had the slots all made and at least with water, drains nicely.

B

I have a 5gal cooler with a SS Braid Manifold. I've found on several occasions the SS Braid is getting crushed and the whole process comes to a trickling halt. If i could start over I would just start with something more rigid like pvc.

I have a 5gal cooler with a SS Braid Manifold. I've found on several occasions the SS Braid is getting crushed and the whole process comes to a trickling halt. If i could start over I would just start with something more rigid like pvc.

What size braid? I read up on them prior to choosing mine and the consensus seems to be that the larger water heater braids work much better and don't get crushed, so that is what I went with.

Go to home depot and find the largest braided tube you can find. I ended up using one that was over an inch dia and haven't had a stuck sparge yet. The braid I used has a rubber hose in the inside of it that you have to melt and pull out. This thing is a beast compared to any other SS braids I've seen.

I use the braid from a 3/4"x12" water heater supply line (Lowes part #25204) in a rectangular 40qt cooler. I've never had any problems with my hose staying rigid. :ban:

I use a 10 Gal Round one from Home Depot. I personally don't find it hard to stir, granted there isn't as much opening room that a rectangular cooler has, but I think it works fine.

I also found using a friends rectangular cooler, there was a lot more "cool" spots. I think it is really personal preference. They both work great.

I also found the round 10 Gal cooler much cheaper than the rectangular ones, and right now, at least in my area, the new coolers coming out have the drain plug in the rear of the cooler, and more towards the bottom.

If you are having trouble with the ss braid getting crushed you could do what I did. I went down to the electrical dept at Lowes and bought some wire (cant remember now what size) and coiled it up and inserted it into the ss braid. Worked for me.

Scott

Go to home depot and find the largest braided tube you can find. I ended up using one that was over an inch dia and haven't had a stuck sparge yet. The braid I used has a rubber hose in the inside of it that you have to melt and pull out. This thing is a beast compared to any other SS braids I've seen.

Just made one and I used the same braid. It was a 12" for a water heater or something, and had the rubber hose on the inside.

I just kept bending the braid to disconnect the rubber from the SS and then grabbed one end of the rubber tube with some pliers and kept twisting it until it came out. I think this would be a bit easier than melting it out. :mug:

I really have to stir my grains well to get even temperature in my cooler - 52q Xtreme, but I like having the extra 3g capacity over the 10g Rubbermaid.

Back