Mash Tun Build - Do I need a Steel Braid or is a grain bag enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer-Baron

Reaction score
Hi there

I'm putting together my first mash tun according to these plans.

http://www.donosborn.com/homebrew/mashtun.htm

Basically I have a tube jammed through the draining hole and a valve on the end. What I'm wondering is if the Steel Braid is important, or do you think that if I just lined the cooler with a giant grain bag that would filter out the grains and allow enough flow.

Input please?

I think you will want either a braid, a manifold, or a false bottom.

Wrasslin' with that bag will get real old, real fast. Plus, making a braid is SIMPLE.

:mug:

Really? How do you mean? What wrestling would I need to ? How is the big grain bag any different then a steel braid? Do u mean it would cause problems with sparging?

I don't think you will get as much out of the grain with the bag. I tried putting all my hops into a bag once and it became a dense lump and relaesed much less into the beer than past times adding right in the wort. Just my opinion though.

I of course am just using the hops as an example, I know you are talking about mashing.

Really? How do you mean? What wrestling would I need to ? How is the big grain bag any different then a steel braid? Do u mean it would cause problems with sparging?

Did you mean putting all the grain in a bag, then sparging by "dipping" in the sparge water?

No. The bag I'm talking about is sold at Austin home brew. It's huge. It will line the whole cooler and then some. I was mostly wondering about flow. I don't believe I will have a problem with grains clumping. The bag is bigger then the cooler.

Hi there

I'm putting together my first mash tun according to these plans.

http://www.donosborn.com/homebrew/mashtun.htm

Basically I have a tube jammed through the draining hole and a valve on the end. What I'm wondering is if the Steel Braid is important, or do you think that if I just lined the cooler with a giant grain bag that would filter out the grains and allow enough flow.

Input please?

I think you'll find that the end of your tube will clog up pretty quickly like that. To use a bag as your filter you'll need some sort of false bottom to give a large surface area for the wort to flow through. a simple baking cooling rack would probably work just fine in your case - just put your tube under the rack and the bag above it and it should leave enough room for the wort to drain out.

TD

Latest posts

Back