Mash Tun and Plastic concerns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChaosStout

Reaction score
So I got a new Rubbermaid Mash tun prebuilt from Midwest(Yes I was Lazy) Washed it out good today and filled it up with 170F water to preheat befor my mash. I got a real plastic aroma and took a shot of the water and it tasted kinda plastic. Rinsed it out again and tryed some of the water and it tasted fine. So Now Im on my mash out, wort taste fine but im definately worried about this mash tun. So am I screwed with this mash tun? Here is a Link to the one I got > http://www.midwestsupplies.com/single-infusion-mash-tun.html

My guess is it just needed an initial clean and rinse. It's like buying a new coffee maker and running water thru once or twice before brewing coffee in it. If you've ever done that you may have noticed the same plastic smell/taste..

My guess is it just needed an initial clean and rinse. It's like buying a new coffee maker and running water thru once or twice before brewing coffee in it. If you've ever done that you may have noticed the same plastic smell/taste..

ok cool thanks for the reassurance. Dont want to muck up this IPA :mug:

... filled it up with 170F water to preheat befor my mash.

I've gotten away from preheating my cooler MT. I just get a quick temp in my garage (where the tun is stored) and type that into Brew Target for my strike water calculation.
Not only was pre-heating the tun taking time and fuel, it was introducing more variability into my calculations.

Just my $.02...:)

I noticed the same thing with my Rubbermaid 10g. I filled it up and cleaned with some baking soda...probably overkill but it seemed to work.

Yeah I dont preheat anymore either. I have it calculated that if I heat the strike to 170 by the time my pour is done Im at 152 in the grains.

I noticed the same thing with my Rubbermaid 10g. I filled it up and cleaned with some baking soda...probably overkill but it seemed to work.

Yeah I dont preheat anymore either. I have it calculated that if I heat the strike to 170 by the time my pour is done Im at 152 in the grains.

Back