Mash Temp Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gddunton

Reaction score
I currently do a single infusion mash, but dream of a temperature controller for mashing. What is keeping all you other current cooler mashers (non-technical term) from making that jump to a more consistent mash temp?

Mainly because i havent experienced fluctuating temps. TBH though i havent been using my setup long. I just add my water about 10 degrees high and let the cooler warm up for 10-15 mins and then rock n roll. It keeps temp great if i preheat like that

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Higher than strike. After about 10 mins its usually still to warm but a few ice cubes fixes that. It just seems easier to overshoot on the Warmside and have to cool it than the other way around

So if beersmith says i need 170deg strike, i put my water in at 180 and close the cooler, wait for it to come down to strike temp or if its stabilized too high i add ice to get to strike temp. Then add grain and stir like its my job. Then close it up. After an hour its still within a degree of where i started. I also put 2 gallon jugs of water on the lid to help it stay sealed better

I have my strike temperature "scoped in" nicely in BeerSmith...based on "experimental data" (previous batches)....my specific heat of mash tun, etc. So when I add the strike water as defined I am right there on mash temp.

One thing I found that has helped with consistent results is filling my mash tun with tap water to get it to stabilize the entire cooler to a temperature....take a reading on water temp so I know exact starting temp of mash tun to enter in BeerSmith....empty mash tun of water just before mashing...this has really helped with consistency of getting correct mash temp.

Back