Mash PH, and Bicarbonate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSmetalcraft

Reaction score
I finally feel comfortable with BIAB and narrowed down a few recipes that will be my normal rotation, All IPA types. So with that I am ready to move onto the next stage playing with the water. I sent in samples to Ward labs from private well.

Everything except Bicarbonate is reasonable and with the addition of a few salts the range is close to recommended using "hoppy beer" in Brewsmith. I read many like their RO system water. I am not sure how RO works on Bicarbonate or even if it does. I guess it would help with TDS at 380ppm. Really in the end is Bicarbonate a real issue one way or the other? Opinions? BTW level is 255ppm. I played with adding some RO water and it seems to throw other levels off so there must be a point where one just get close and call it good.

I have never measured PH of the mash. My PH of the water is 7.9. So I assume when one adds his grain bill the PH will drop some? If so can I get an idea of how much, at least a ball park figure so I can maybe figure if a small amount of Acid malt would be a benefit before ever measuring. BTW have a meter on order but may brew before I have all things on hand.

Really in the end is Bicarbonate a real issue one way or the other?

It can be an issue, depending on the grain bill, and depending on how much calcium and magnesium are also in the water. The way to find out is to consult a water calculator. Assuming you're not using brewing software that includes a water calc, I recommend the MpH calculator:
http://homebrewingphysics.blogspot.com/2020/03/mph-water-calculator-v42.html
My PH of the water is 7.9. So I assume when one adds his grain bill the PH will drop some? If so can I get an idea of how much, at least a ball park figure so I can maybe figure if a small amount of Acid malt would be a benefit before ever measuring.

Yes, the pH of the mash will be lower than the pH of the water. Whether the mash pH will be too high (and thus will need acid malt/some other type of acid addition) or too low (and thus will need baking soda/slaked lime) depends on the combination of the ions in the source water and grain bill. And a calculator is the way to predict that.

Last edited:
Back