Mash paddle!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6footbrewery

Reaction score
Ok let's see what you guys have made. Post your mash paddle here. We all want to see your handy work. The crazier the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'll start it off. Here is one I just made a few days ago.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413463840.023188.jpg
All pine, all fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

This is my mash paddle / intruder deterring device. It lives next to my bed within arms reach.

Its Ipe, with like 5 coatings of Tung Oil and left to dry for 2-3 weeks.

WP_20141019_08_32_28_Pro.jpg

WP_20141019_08_32_49_Pro.jpg

nice work you guys, I like the baseball bat paddle. So what's the difference between a mash paddle and a 24" slotted stainless steel spoon? Does the paddle work easier for 10 gal batches and larger?

So what's the difference between a mash paddle and a 24" slotted stainless steel spoon? Does the paddle work easier for 10 gal batches and larger?

Not much really, depending on the size of the tun, a longer stirring paddle / spoon is needed. I have a collection of stirring implements. Most often I use a 24" bamboo wok stirrer I picked up for a buck or two. For larger BIAB batches, I use a 30" oak paddle I made out of a piece of flooring. Haven't used the baseball bat paddle yet, just built it for fun. FWIW, I haven't ever bothered cutting holes in any of my paddles and find they work fine.

Here is my high tech paddle, with a thermometer in the handle.
img089owo.jpg
img090mrm.jpg

I bought a barbecue fork with thermometer, which I picked the goodies from.
I´m not a blacksmith just for fun, if can you make something in stainless steel, why not?

I have a nice piece of oak I'm gong to make one out of. Do you all treat the wood with anything before you use it to stir a mash?

Went with an abstract hop cone design, hope you all like it. I also didn't use any oils and just left the natural wood color. Mine looks terrible compared to some of the other ones already posted up here....those have amazing craftsmanship.

2014-03-22 14.14.37.jpg

2014-04-05 12.27.47.jpg

I'm in Seattle and wanted something related to a native american design I saw at our local Museum of History and Industry. Not sure which tribe (probably several) but nice lines.

It's not finished (might never be) but I use it anyway.

Jig saw, hole saws on the drill press and an hour or so with a 4.5" flap wheel on an angle grinder. Works great.

20141219_110828.jpg

20141219_110901.jpg

I forgot to post my other paddle I made. I didn't oil or coat this one at all, and I've used it in my last 3 or so batches without issue. It's poplar, cut the shape with a jigsaw, cut the holes with various hole saws and paddle bits. If the grain bill is light enough, I just set the paddle across my keggle and plop my BIAB bag right on top to drain while I heat up to boiling.

IMG_2470.jpg

I have something very similar, but with a shorter handle. I'd love a longer handle. Maybe I can figure out how to extend the handle.

This thing breaks up dough balls like nobody's business!

I just found a length of stainless tubing that had an ID that matched the diameter of the whisk handle, then JB Welded it on.

I just found a length of stainless tubing that had an ID that matched the diameter of the whisk handle, then JB Welded it on.

Good Idea. I have some SS tubing sitting in the garage, and I can look for more at the scrapyard if I don't have any the right size.

And I can TIG it on at work...

I'm in Seattle and wanted something related to a native american design I saw at our local Museum of History and Industry. Not sure which tribe (probably several) but nice lines.

It's not finished (might never be) but I use it anyway.

Jig saw, hole saws on the drill press and an hour or so with a 4.5" flap wheel on an angle grinder. Works great.

View attachment 242840

View attachment 242841
seriously...that looks like the ribs out of an airplane wing...thats cool

Latest posts

Back