Mash overnight or Mash out for boil next morning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boo-urns

Reaction score
I'm going to be demonstrating a mash for a group soon which will be in the evening. I was curious if I should just keep the mash going all night or mash out and cover it to boil in the morning.

I've seen some threads that they mash all night but the mash will most likely be started mid evening.

I'm guessing your question is which is best practice for this situation?

I would think staying up for the extra two or so hours would be worth it to finish the brew, better to put off cleaning and have to scrub a little harder than sacrifice beer quality.

If you have to chose between a super long mash or a pause before the boil, I would lean toward the pause before boil. I can't see how waiting for the boil will change your wort, but I could theorize that an extended mash could change the profile of the beer, extract excess tannins, and just waste fuel, assuming your setup is electric (because gas running all night unattended is asking for trouble.) If you're just using a cooler I don't see how you could effectively hold the mash temperature that long.

I guess my point is, I don't see how a pause could hurt, and I don't see how a long mash can help. I haven't read up on long mash times either, so just my limited opinion.

Thanks vraftsman it is a cooler setup. I could see how a longer mash would definitely change the profile and extract. I just wasn't sure if collecting the wort would be asking for excess bacteria although the boil should eliminate that.

If it was not possible to stay up and finish, then I would get it boil ready and put a lid on it. Mashing overnight might cause, I wont say bad, but unexpected results.

It's possible of course, but the boil should take care of that as you mention, and I wouldn't think just overnight would give the bacteria enough time to create off flavors, though I'm no biologist. Maybe not only clean, but sanitize the BK in this situation just to be extra cautious. And keep it covered as BWE said.

I'd opt for mash out too. I would keep mash and sparge volumes as low as possible so I could top the cold wort off with boiling water to bring the temperature up in order to help reduce flame time. I always try to reduce any chances of scorching.

I'd feel safer boiling then leaving it cool overnight. That way you could put the lid on and it would be sanitized as it was cooling. It may create DMS but I think it would be better than leaving it in the mash overnight.

I have done the mash out and boil later, but never the next day. I had something come up unexpectedly on brew day, so after i mashed out i let it sit...probably for about 5-6 hours. then came back and fired up the burner and continued. I didnt notice any off flavors...or anything "bad"...

I would do a mash out at minimum. This will set the profile of the beer so losing a couple of degrees won't hurt.

Also I wouldn't leave it out all night. Chances of souring could be high. I know when I set plates of bacteria in micro, there was plenty of growth after 24hrs. Especially since it's going to be warm, humid and full of nutrients I wouldn't want to chance it. If you could keep it 170-190 all night that might work but would be a waste of energy.

My opinion/suggestion is get it done and clean up the next day.

Latest posts

Back