Mash Low/Too Dry = No Hop Flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkaBoneBenny

Reaction score
My first AG, my "Summer IPA" has just been tapped so to speak. While the beer is heads and tails above my earlier efforts, I mashed too low, at 150 or so, and got a very very dry beer. The fruity hop flavors I was getting in primary quickly disapeared in secondary as the beer continued to ferment and get drier. Because of time concerns I chose not to dry hop the beer, which I know is rather strange for an IPA. Despite its heavy hop schedule, the beer is suprisingly free of any hop aroma and fruitiness.

My question: is the excessive dryness of the beer masking the hop bouquet or does the recipe just suck. Perhaps some other error? It has a great malty AG taste and appropriate bitterness without any real hop flavor...

Here's the recipe:

OG: 1.062 (intended) Actual 1.060
FG: 1.016 (intended) Actual 1.010

Grain:
11 lb two row
.5 lb Carapils
.5 lb Crystal 60

Hops:
.5 oz Magnum 60 min
.75 oz Cascade 20 min
.5 oz Amarillo 10 min
.5 Cascade 5 min
.5 Amarillo 5 min
.5 Amarillo FO

Yeast WLP 001

Thanks!
Ben

Could be your water. I know a local brewer that mentioned because of the really high bicarbonates in the water that he never is happy with the way hops come out. If you are using tap water, have a go at some spring water or something.

One question, how long since it was brewed? With your hop schedule I am having a hard time seeing why you wouldn't have a really good hop nose.

I guess the only other suggestion I could offer is to make sure you are using quality hops. Freshops and hopsdirect (once you want to buy by the lb) are great suppliers.

I brewed it April 28th. I used CVS Spring water. Maybe its an infection or somethingg? It just seems like too sturdy a hop schedule to be subdued by water alone. But damn, is that a dry beer! I can specifically remembered the hop aromas from primary and the first few days in secondary disapearing after a few days and just... never reapearring. As if the continuing decline in FG had wisked them away!

Ben

Sulfates can affect the perception of bitterness from your hops but I'm not aware of water affecting aroma or flavour much. Were the hops fresh/well preserved?

Man I dunno then, are you sure you measured the hops correctly? Have you had success on similar brews that showcase the hops? Not an infection, really really doubtful.

Oxygenation? Exposure to oxygen will reduce/nullify hop aromas. They are one of the first things to go when the beer is exposed to oxygen. What was your process in kegging the beer or racking to secondary? I for one don't secondary anymore. I let it sit in the primary for 2 weeks and move it into a keg. One less chance to expose the beer to oxygen.

I know I've posted about over-hopped ales (never an IPA, though), but by PNW standards, that's a light hopping schedule. The dryness shouldn't impact the aroma, but can change your impression of the flavor. Bitter doesn't trigger the smell/taste associations like sweet does.

Try dissolving a very small amount (1/8-1/4 tsp) of sucrose in a half ounce of water & add a bottle. If the flavor comes back, you know the problem. But, even then, it won't change the aroma. You need hop oil to do that.

david_42 said:
but by PNW standards, that's a light hopping schedule.

:fro:

Yeah I know lol...I'm still not a hophead...although I have been digging Brooklyns EIPA lately. I am still surprised though that he is getting "suprisingly free of any hop aroma and fruitiness". I would think he should at least have something going on there. It's not huge, but then again neither is the grain bill.

Back