Mash and Sparge today/boil in couple days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sky4meplease

Reaction score
I mashed BIAB for a one gallon batch and another gallon for starter wort.
I needed the starter wort today but won't be ready to boil and pitch the 1 gallon batch for a couple days.
I decided to bring the wort close to a boil before covering and placing in the fridge to store until I am ready for it. I figured it would pasteurize it so nothing would grow in it for the next couple days.
Just curious what the brilliant minds here think about the fact that I likely got some hot and cold break from the boil, what the affects may be and what the consequences of bringing it back to life for a batch of beer in a couple days will be.

I think it should be fine as long as you put it in a sealed container and don't leave it to long. Be no different then the ready to boil kits you can get at the lhbs. Your going to boil it and kill off any wild yeast that maybe in it before pitching anyway. Just seal it and don't let it go rancid. That's just my thoughts on it but I'm no expert.

I was gifted wort from a friend and didn't get a chance to boil until the next weekend. I made room in my fridge, sealed it in a plastic bucket, and let it sit a week. I fully expected sour wort, but I ended up with some top notch porter wort. This would not be my SOP, but it did work in a pinch. Since it was bucketed immediately after the mash, and it didn't have much headroom, I would assume that there wasn't too much opportunity for any baddies to get in there and wreck it. It worked for me. Ymmv.

I was gifted wort from a friend ...

Geez. I've been killing myself all this time making beer for my friends, I didn't know I could just give them wort! SO much easier!

I guess you could file it under the "give a man a fish vs. teach a man to fish" philosophy!

Thanks for the replies.
I routinely brew starter wort and keep in the fridge to use as needed for my brewing but this was a little different since it needs to taste good.
Since it will take me a couple days to build up yeast cells from a plate for this batch it needed to chill in the fridge.
I will post how it turns out.
Canadian 2row
CaraBrown
Centennial
IPA

I do this all the time...though usually witth full batches. Made a killer pumpkin (over the course of 5 days)..even smelled funky when I started the boil...was awesome. I also made a batch of my 48hr DIPA and took second in a local contest against a bunch of pro brewers (48 hours between Mash and boil)...as long as you mash out, you'll be good. I just put the lid on my kettle after mash out, and walk away. No worries...Good luck.

I know this is an older post, but the following may help someone......

I have fixed the stuck mash problem! It's easy, use a brew bag, use a pump to under let the strike water, then recirculate the wort WITHOUT ever stirring the mash tun. That's right, don't stir the mash! Yep, throw out that mash paddle. And don't worry, brewing is still fun. Under letting really does prevent dough balls. Where as stirring the mash causes the grist to settle out in layers. Think about yeast cleaning in how the fine particles suspend then settle on top, same thing happens in the mash tun. I crush my grist directly into the mash tun alternating bowl fulls of the malts into the mill as a means of mixing, though it's not really necessary. I also use a flowmeter on the output of my pump for consistency and proof that my mash never even slows down. I under let the mash tun at 2 gallons per minute and then immediately start to recirculate the wort at 3 gallons per minute for a 10 gallon batch.

The brew bag is essential for clear wort to the kettle, just as leaving the hops, and the cold and hot break material in the kettle is important for clear wort to the fermenter. I whirlpool my NEIPA hops at 160 F and then let the wort settle in the kettle overnight. I get all the hop flavor without dry hopping and as a nice side effect the fermenter never erupts krausen out the airlock, even with a hefeweizen. The theory being the yeast cling to the solids causing greater movement which leads to faster fermentation and the eruption. My beers have improved dramatically since I started clear wort brewing. It is right up there with oxygen free brewing techniques. Try it.

Latest posts

Back