Mash and brew in the same kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DogFlynnHead

Reaction score
We're planning on mashing and brewing using the same kettle. Assuming we would need to disconnect the false bottom when brewing. Is this difficult to detach and reattach? And are there any drawbacks to doing this?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Sorry, realize I didn't really answer your question. But using BIAB I am able to mash and brew in the same vessel. If you are familiar with BIAB then you know what I mean. Otherwise, look into it. Didn't mean to come off like a d*ck :)

Brew in a bag not what we're looking to do, but thanks for the reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If you own the kettle, it would be apparent you'd know what it takes to remove and install the false bottom. Anyway, it depends on the equipment. I have a Blichmann, it's not too difficult to remove the false bottom. The drawback is removing hot mash to reinstall the plate. I use a fired mash tun and move the mash from the tun to the lautertun every batch.

Thanks for the reply. We actually don't own the kettle with false bottom yet, hence my question before investing $400+. We're upgrading our system to a bigger kettle and just was trying to make sense of mashing and brewing in the same pot. To much trouble, plus the issue of using the old kettle to heat sparge water, etc.

Got the new kettle but building a bigger mash tun out of a cooler.

Cheers!

Back