Marzen Examples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't seen much activity in regards to pictures on the other posts so I'm starting a new one, specifically looking for pictures of Marzens.

Show me your marzens if you've done them. All I ask is PLEASE INCLUDE THE SRM VALUE with the picture. I'm trying to figure out the color I want on mine.

Thanks.

I think i posted this on a different thread but here ya go . Its 8.3 srm
20190926_175800.jpg

Damn that's an 8.3? Is that with brewers friend or beer Smith?

I have my recipe at 14.9 currently...

Its grainfather app. Grain bill is

5.5 pilsner
5.5 munich
.5 crystal 40

So I got curious and checked back at my Bru N Water info . I wrote down srm of 10 . But my crystal was 1# not .5 .....so I really don't remember if I used 1 or a half lol.

Last edited:
Disregard . Double checking my GF app i did use 1 # of crystal 40 . Og of 1.058 and fg of 1.015 I believe .

Excuse me if I am saying what most people already know, but it is almost impossible to get a reasonable representation of color v SRM with "uncontrolled" pics. This is because of light (type (natural, LED, incandescent), color, CRI & intensity), background, diameter of glass, and other factors. You can take one pic, move to a little different angle and get another pic that looks quite different than the previous one. You would have to have a controlled "studio" where all pics use as close to the same set up as possible. There may be some "standards" or guidelines to help do this, but I don't know them.

Excuse me if I am saying what most people already know, but it is almost impossible to get a reasonable representation of color v SRM with "uncontrolled" pics. This is because of light (type (natural, LED, incandescent), color, CRI & intensity), background, diameter of glass, and other factors. You can take one pic, move to a little different angle and get another pic that looks quite different than the previous one. You would have to have a controlled "studio" where all pics use as close to the same set up as possible. There may be some "standards" or guidelines to help do this, but I don't know them.
Yep understood. Not looking to get real technical with it and I know that lighting can throw it off but it was really just too get an idea of what the beer looked like in that range is all.

I brewed another batch of Marzen earlier this year and it has been lagering since. Octoberfest is still more than a month away and lagering will continue. The same recipe from last year received a Gold Medal at the State Fair for 2020 in the Marzen category. I'd have to look up the score and recipe. I hadn't even thought about this beer lagering, as it is just 5 of 40 gallons of different beers I have in various states, and it has been in there five months now. I don't even remember sampling it when I moved on the yeast cake, so hopefully all is well.

Only picture I have thus far. Kegging mine today. Brewed it at the beginning of the month and open fermented for the first week. Beersmith estimates 10.5 SRM.

Attachments

• IMG_19611.jpg
    IMG_19611.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 10
Looked up my numbers. Score was a bit lower than many competitions at a 40. OG 1.061; FG 1.013; ABV 6.3%; IBU 21 (Magnum @65min; Hallertau Mittelfruh @12); SRM 14; WLP820. Grain bill is slightly non-standard for BJCP 6A, but the results are the key. Lagers out beautifully clear - I can just stare at it in a glass watching the bubbles rise, and not want to drink it. Not the complete mash sequence, but mash times @145 and @161 were recently skewed a bit more towards the @145 to get a drier beer. I wish I had a photo - maybe in the next month+.

Marzen is done and in the tank. OG 1.058 IBU 18 SRM 15 WY2206 As stated, I wanted it a tad darker than Sam Adams and I think I got it there! We'll see how this finishes out in 5-6 weeks. I was really worried about the color being so dark but I think it's right where I wanted it.

To compare with Sam Adams, I poured a sample of SA Octoberfest and ours in the same glass, in the same place, in the same lighting to compare. I'd say I ended up right where I wanted!

20200830_123545.jpg
IMG_20200830_143244.jpg

Stealing shamelessly from the German forum hobbybrauer.de, take a look at this picture:

1598989228629.png

What SRM would you estimate for these samples from left to right? Where would you like to end up on this scale?

Stealing shamelessly from the German forum hobbybrauer.de, take a look at this picture:

View attachment 696367

What SRM would you estimate for these samples from left to right? Where would you like to end up on this scale?

That's a good question. I'm not sure what SRM those are. Considering you pulled that from a german forum and the style guidelines call for 8 - 17 SRM, I'd guess that the lightest is 8, the darkest is maaaayyyybe 17 and the rest are spread out between...? I don't think the darkest is 17 though, based on what color mine came out at being 15 SRM. I would say that I personally like the color of the last 2 for a marzen.

That's a good question. I'm not sure what SRM those are. Considering you pulled that from a german forum and the style guidelines call for 8 - 17 SRM, I'd guess that the lightest is 8, the darkest is maaaayyyybe 17 and the rest are spread out between...? I don't think the darkest is 17 though, based on what color mine came out at being 15 SRM. I would say that I personally like the color of the last 2 for a marzen.

These pictures are not (necessarily) of Märzens. But there is something else they all have in common:

(Wait for it...)

All beers in the picture have the same SRM value of exactly 10.

Apologies for the trick question - it just goes to show that SRM alone won't tell you much about the actual color.

Last edited:
That's interesting... Definitely doesn't look like they're all 10. Do you know any of the details behind the picture or the beers in the picture?

That's interesting... Definitely doesn't look like they're all 10. Do you know any of the details behind the picture or the beers in the picture?

The link where I got it from is here. A bit below, the poster Ladeberger explains that Briess Malting provided this series of samples which were all photometrically determined to be at 10 SRM. Unfortunately, the link he provides is no longer valid. But this post by Briess Malting is quite similar in spirit.

I haven't seen much activity in regards to pictures on the other posts so I'm starting a new one, specifically looking for pictures of Marzens.

Show me your marzens if you've done them. All I ask is PLEASE INCLUDE THE SRM VALUE with the picture. I'm trying to figure out the color I want on mine.

Thanks.
Hi, i brewed an Märzen Bier, last time. Taste is great. I try to upload a few pictures. If you need inspiration for traditional german beerstyles, visit :
Maischemalzundmehr.de
Try to read it with an translator in your browser.
Regards and good Luck.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210206_105324_com.huawei.browser.jpg
    Screenshot_20210206_105324_com.huawei.browser.jpg
    495.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20210206_105338_com.huawei.browser.jpg
    Screenshot_20210206_105338_com.huawei.browser.jpg
    496.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20210206_105347_com.huawei.browser.jpg
    Screenshot_20210206_105347_com.huawei.browser.jpg
    781.5 KB · Views: 14
10.7 according to brewers friend

72% barke Munich (7lbs)
20.5% barke Pilsner (2lbs)
5% caramunich 1 (8oz)
2.5% cara foam (4oz)

4.5 gallon batch

I’d probably back off the caramunich next time and swap in some Vienna for Munich. I was going to do 4,3,2 (Munich, Vienna, pils) but decided I wanted a higher srm. I actually wanted even higher but I’m happy with 10

Attachments

• 74C1DB71-6002-4A98-821D-83CE802018AE.jpeg
    74C1DB71-6002-4A98-821D-83CE802018AE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
This is a great recipe to. Take Thikmash
At 62°C, keep it 15 min at 72°C Boil it for 15 Min, take it slowly back to the rest of mash and go on like recipe. But take Saflager W 34/70 yeast for fermentation.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210206_160512_com.huawei.browser.jpg
    Screenshot_20210206_160512_com.huawei.browser.jpg
    447.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20210206_160524_com.huawei.browser.jpg
    Screenshot_20210206_160524_com.huawei.browser.jpg
    481.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20210206_160623_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210206_160623_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
    623.3 KB · Views: 8
I had repeated a Marzen/Oktoberfest recipe that won a Gold at the 2020 State Fair (named 'Bierbauch') but it didn't attain the proper FG. I decided to see what it would be like as an Eisbock. So far it seems like it will turn out fine. My estimated ABV is 15.5%. I used the warm up 100ml to ~175F to evaporate the ethanol and that was the result. My Doppelbock came out at about 18.5% using the same method. Neither have an upfront "hotness" from the alcohol and could be deceptive if somebody was drinking them without knowing.

Latest posts

Back