Marking the inside of my cooler mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncle_jimbo

Reaction score
I want to make gallon marks on the inside of my mash tun for water level.

I'm guessing that it may not be a great idea to just use a Sharpie. Will a permanent marker that is dried up impart any chemicals or anything that I don't want into my wort?

Any other ideas that might work?

I have used a sharpie, then let it dry, and rinsed it off a bit with hot water.

I figure the whole point of a permanent marker is to stay on the surface you write on, so if anything is leeching into the wort or water, it is an insignificant amount.

I use a sharpie on all my measuring sticks to measure boil volumes, etc. as well.

why not get some food grade silicone in the color of your choice? it would def stay longer than a marker

He was talking about marking the interior of his mashtun cooler set up. I always have problems getting markers to stick depending on what type of plastic is being used.

I try to use only pp#5 which ime resists mechanical and chemical bonding very well.

I personally wouldn't be measuring within the mash tun anyways.

He was talking about marking the interior of his mashtun cooler set up. I always have problems getting markers to stick depending on what type of plastic is being used.

Hence the recommendation for the stick...

Not that I want to get into the subject more than I already am, however, i was just commenting on markers on plastic. The comment resulted in someone saying they had something marked and the markers were fine over the course of 3 years. Now considering he was talking to me about markers on plastic i would assume his marks were on plastic. Which makes everything I said still relevant.

I wonder how much if any the over all volume would change based on the grains used.

over all I think it would be best to measure the water before it is mixed anyways making a stick marked to coincide with a cooler a moot point. Perhaps a sight glass or some marking system on the hlt or whatever you are using to heat your strike/sparge/etc water would make more sense. On the other hand maybe i am thinking too much.

Latest posts

Back