Maris otter SMaSH tastes grainy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h-bar

Reaction score
Today I pitched a SMaSH IPA to the secondary, and I tasted some of it. It was super grainy tasting, definitely has some DMS in there. I have no idea why it's tasting this way since I kept the lid off the pot during the entire process. The recipe (for ONE gallon) is below:

2.25# Maris Otter
0.25 oz Simcoe - 60 min
0.1 oz Simcoe - 10 min

0.25 oz Simcoe - dry hop 1 week

Mash 90 min 150 F, no sparge

OG: 1.061
FG: 1.010

Fermented at 55 F using half Nottingham and half Odell Myrcenary yeast.

I honestly have no idea what went wrong. Is this a common problem with Maris otter? I've never used it before.

Ok. I just noticed you were in AZ. I used to live there and the hard water can cause problems with mash pH. High mash pH can cause grainy / tannic flavors.

Water supply pH can vary over the year. Something along those lines is still my guess. Maris Otter is delicious.

The beer smells great at least. I'm hoping maybe this flavor will age out.

Maybe I'll have to get my hands on some pH paper too.

I made a similar recipe over the summer - Have you ever made a MO SMASH before? MO on its own has a kind of surprising flavor, at least in my experience. It's much richer than 2 row or Pilsner, and it has a hint of chocolate to it. You might just be tasting the Maris Ottery-ness of it in a very young beer. Just give it some more time and see how it tasted after a couple weeks in the bottle.

MO is a fantastic base malt. I love it. Reliable supplier? How did it taste before you mashed it?

Nothing different about your crush?

Graininess is why I use MO. Pretty great stuff.

I'll second the "let it ride" comments. It'll probably be pretty tasty even if it's not what you planned..

Update: it just needed time. It tastes great now! Maybe not as bitter as I would have liked, but very refreshing and crisp.

Back