Maris Otter, Golden Promise and US 2 Row

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmelione

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used Maris Otter, Golden Promise and US 2 Row in the same recipe to give some malt complexity without using specialty malts? Im thinking about doing this in my next DIPA.

Either of those are fine. There are subtle differences, but they are mostly very similar. British base malts are generally a tad richer and sweeter in character. Golden Promise is a bit sweeter than the others, so be cautious about using too much of it.

I generally find that a American 2-row or Pearl Malt base accompanied by rye, wheat, or vienna works best for my tastes. Sometimes I toss in some light caramel malt and corn sugar.

I really don't like toasty, bready, sweet grains in my IIPAs. The hop character is destroyed once you start using a lot of Munich, overdoing it with crystal malt, using Melanoidin or Victory, or fermenting with a yeast that accentuates maltiness.

Has anyone ever used Maris Otter, Golden Promise and US 2 Row in the same recipe to give some malt complexity without using specialty malts? Im thinking about doing this in my next DIPA.

I've played around with my grain bill a little for IPA and DIPA. I like multiple base malts. Usually I go with 70-80% american pale malt, 5% 15L crystal, and the rest english pale malt. I like that combo. I've tried all maris otter American IPA and thought it was pretty good, but the malty sweetness was a little too much. Honestly, I'm still working on The IPA That I Love and malt will probably be the last thing I really tweak until it's nailed down. Still, something like the above is a likely path. I might drop the crystal and do more English. I never put Munich in my IPA.

Back