March pump directly onto a valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mendozer

Reaction score
I can't find an old thread on this although I'm sure it's been asked before. All I see are pumps mounted on stands below pots. What can't you put the pump directly onto the ball valve that's attached to your kettle? (im not talking about the BK, just HLT and MT). It would be motor down, it would prime, and it's a solid connection. You just need another ball valve on the outflow for regulation.

Couple of reasons I wouldn't do it.

First of minor concern, rigid connections transfer vibration and that might cause problems with the mechanical soundness of the valve mountings.

Secondly, it is better to regulate the flow from the pump on the outlet side to avoid causing cavitation. I don't know the specific layout of your pump connections, but my generic one would have to be mounted via the inlet connector that comes out the front axis of the pump.

Thirdly, the hassle of getting the mounting height of the pump correct to avoid straining the ball valve mount is probably more than just mounting the pump on a flat surface and running hoses.

Lastly, you're increasing the space occupied by the HLT and MT on your brew stand and reducing your workspace.

I would have a valve on the outflow regardless on the pump. I didn't think much about the vibration. I figured on a welded or even solid weldless fitting it wouldn't matter and it could hold the pump. I'd a March 815. I've never used them before so I don't even know how much they vibrate. Good point on that.
As for space, I have the ball valves overhanging the stand frame anyways so the pumps would be hanging vertically.
I'll just mount them below on a bracket and not worry about the vibration. If I really want it to be solid I can just hard plumb it with copper pipe or something.

thanks

I've been running a pair of March 815PLs for ~16 years now and they are way too heavy to hang from a kettle valve. You might be able to get away with that with a "tan pump" or equivalent as they weigh far less...

Cheers!

unknown.png

Modified Chugger pumps (larger motors) mounted to bottom-drain kettles that had a silver solder spud as the output port. Worked a treat.. go for it!

Latest posts

Back