March 809 pump issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KJC333

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I use a March 809 pump for mash recirculation and fly sparging. During my last brew, the pump started making some loud noises about halfway into the sparge and the flow rate died. I turned it off, waited a minute, and then turned it back on again, and it was fine. However, a few minutes later, the noise resumed and the flow died again. I had to keep turning it on and off for the remainder of the sparge.

Today I took it apart in order to see if anything was visibly damaged, and I noticed a metal piece inside the drive magnet that looked chipped. It is circled in the image:

XxoPJ.jpg

The impeller and everything else is fine. I've been successfully using the pump since January. There have been other times when I've had to reprime it to resume flow, but this is the first time it's been such an issue.

Anyone have any advice, similar experiences, etc.?

The photos is not the best, but that looks like the "key", or flat spot on the shaft. Your magnet looks okay otherwise. Could be an issue with the pump head. I would guess that is where the noises are coming from, unless you have plugged it in and run it without the head on to see of the motor itself is making the noise.

KJC333, As Schnitz has stated above, that looks like the motor shaft "flat" that the setscrew for the drive magnet sits against. Have you taken the pump apart down to the level you show in the pic before?? Reason i ask is that we use an alignment jig here at the factory to center the magnet in side the motor bracket. Not to say you cant get it back together...it will just take a little trial and error to get it back together just right.
Have you inspected the inside of the pump head? Does the impeller spin freely on the shaft? Is the teflon washer still there on the shaft between the impeller and the pump head?

Back