Maple Wine - Discuss?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBussy

A Cunning Linguist
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've done the requisite Googling and searching here on the forum. I've found indications that folks did not get quite what they'd hope, but then again a lot of recipes include things like "add raisins and cinnamon stick and a packet of champagne yeast."

That is not the level of winemaking discussion I am looking for here. :)

I'm first having a hard time figuring out if it actually has a name other than "maple wine?" I have seen it described as acerglyn, but I'm pretty sure that only applies to a mead made with maple syrup. In my mind, "mead" has to have honey.

I have a couple of gallons of dark syrup (the stuff advertised as "formerly grade B") so I should have a flavorful enough fermentate. I expect like any natural sugar I'd want to come at this with a pretty high starting gravity, look for something to accentuate the flavors and not add any others. I'd think that nutrients would be concentrated and not an issue.

So, sort of shooting from the hip, I'm thinking my go-to 71B, 1.110-1.120 OG, and possibly back-sweeten a touch (with more syrup) if needed.

There are lots of questions out there about Maple Syrup Wine and few qualified answers. I'm hoping there's a few old hands out there who might share a little experience with me.

I made a batch several years ago. I still had a couple of bottles when I had a "Brew 'n Q" late last summer. Everyone loved it.

I used grade B syrup (when it was called that) and treated it just like I would a batch of mead. I also used 71B due to it's profile or what it would do for the recipe. I didn't add ANY other flavor elements, or raisins, to mine. I've actually never added raisins to any of my recipes (mead/others). Only time I've used cinnamon sticks has been in cider, where it made sense.

I'll probably be looking at making another batch at some point. Just need to find enough of the good syrup. Then figure out which fermenter (type) I'll use and get it going. Actually, these things are another point in favor of me getting another conical fermenter. That way I can use the two I have for beers and the third for cider, mead, etc. ;) I'll probably get the same size I have now, so that I could also use it for my regular beers.

IIRC, I added yeast nutrient to the mixture, again just like I would a mead. It fermented to the tolerance of the yeast, and had a bit of sweetness left to it. Which was my goal. Bottled it up in wine bottles (I like mine not carbonated) and it was good for the long term.

I made a 6 gallon batch of maple wine with syrup I collected myself(end of season so darker than anything you will find in stores), I followed TOSNA 2 protocols using Belgian Strong Ale yeast. Turned out fantastic. I aimed for a final gravity of 1.005, depending on the yeast hitting its tolerance, and hit it right on.

The wine turned out to be a light yellow, almost gold in color and definitely hits maple on the tongue and nose without being overly sweet. This is a great breakfast wine ;) if such a thing exists.

I dont know if it was a fluke but I have a second batch going right now so I will know this winter sometime.

edit to add: I would be willing to spare a bottle for research if you want to swap for something from your stash?

I followed TOSNA 2 protocols using Belgian Strong Ale yeast.
I've not yet tasted my first BOMM mead - so not ready to jump on that bandwagon yet. Maybe I'll stick a bottle in the fridge tonight though.

This is a great breakfast wine ;) if such a thing exists.
It does now!

I would be willing to spare a bottle for research if you want to swap for something from your stash?
I always love a swap! I'll ping you on the side.

I've done the requisite Googling and searching here on the forum. I've found indications that folks did not get quite what they'd hope, but then again a lot of recipes include things like "add raisins and cinnamon stick and a packet of champagne yeast."

That is not the level of winemaking discussion I am looking for here. :)

I'm first having a hard time figuring out if it actually has a name other than "maple wine?" I have seen it described as acerglyn, but I'm pretty sure that only applies to a mead made with maple syrup. In my mind, "mead" has to have honey.

I have a couple of gallons of dark syrup (the stuff advertised as "formerly grade B") so I should have a flavorful enough fermentate. I expect like any natural sugar I'd want to come at this with a pretty high starting gravity, look for something to accentuate the flavors and not add any others. I'd think that nutrients would be concentrated and not an issue.

So, sort of shooting from the hip, I'm thinking my go-to 71B, 1.110-1.120 OG, and possibly back-sweeten a touch (with more syrup) if needed.

There are lots of questions out there about Maple Syrup Wine and few qualified answers. I'm hoping there's a few old hands out there who might share a little experience with me.
Back in 2016 I was making all sort of wines, All maple, all agave , all molases. None of the three I liked. I guess I was expecting something similar to mead. At the same time I had done meads with maple (mostly honey) and that turned out very nice. There seem to be a group of people that like maple wine, If you have not started yet maybe try a one gallon experimental batch. My mistake was I made 5 gallon batches and ended up not liking it.

If you have not started yet maybe try a one gallon experimental batch.
Yeah - fair point. If the path was clear I wanted to do 5 gallons because one gallon is the same amount of work for only a handful of small bottles. Trading with @yoop89 will give me a pretty good indication of whether I want to dive in or not. If all else fails, a maple mead would be nice!

I did one years ago, 1 gallon. Also treated it like mead in using a wine yeast and staggered nutrient additions. Character when it was done was watered down bourbon-esque. It was tasty enough (and fermented drier than anything I'd seen at the time), but given the cost wasn't worth making again.

Well, I do like Bourbon. :)

Speaking of which, being in DC, tried the Magnus? Really digging the Cigar Blends.

From the batch I made, and the research I did before hand, I went with the darkest (most flavor rich) syrup I could get. Pretty sure that's what allowed it to retain the flavors it did. Plus I formulated it to end up a bit sweet. Again, retaining flavors.

I might go with a lower ABV version on the next batch.

I went with the darkest (most flavor rich) syrup I could get.
Check. I spoke to the producer and he knew what I wanted. When I tasted it - well, it was the most intense maple flavor I think I've ever had.

Plus I formulated it to end up a bit sweet.
CHeck, I always go for a little residual when I want to emphasize varietals. I assumed I'd do the same here.

I might go with a lower ABV version on the next batch.
Here's where I may have no choice. The yeast tells me what it wants. I prefer not to ferment dry then back sweeten if I can help it. I'd rather the yeast go to sleep full and happy with a little left on their plate. The 71B has been a good stain for me for white wines (and their analogs).

Yeah - fair point. If the path was clear I wanted to do 5 gallons because one gallon is the same amount of work for only a handful of small bottles. Trading with @yoop89 will give me a pretty good indication of whether I want to dive in or not. If all else fails, a maple mead would be nice!
I use to think like you with regards to the same amount of work, until the day I made a five gallon batch of molasses wine. After it being horrible I now just run gallon batches on experimentals. For, example, i am doing a Mexican sake, that is i am making a sake but in the end hoping to make it taste like horchata (a mexican rice drink) I am trying 3 different variations. So i am doing gallon batches.

I mean ... you're not wrong. So, I compromise and look for information and corroboration that my experiment is not way out on the skinny branches, then I make (at least) five gallons. :)

I brew, hence the name “BEERnik.” Today’s my first day back at brewing after a 6 year hiatus.

I’m looking for a mead and cyser replacement.

I have seen it described as acerglyn, but I'm pretty sure that only applies to a mead made with maple syrup. In my mind, "mead" has to have honey.

You are absolutely correct, a mead must have honey as its primary fermentable. (Or, at the very least, the finished beverage presents as if honey was the primary fermentable -- it's always about what ends up in the glass, not the recipe you started with.)

I have no idea if this is accurate in any way, but I've long been under the impression that an Acerglyn is a maple mead, and an Acer is a maple wine (maple syrup is the primary/sole fermentable). This may not be correct, but that's how folks around here refer to them.

I haven't yet made an acerglyn or an acer, but I have a couple of gallons of maple syrup that I bought specifically for that purpose and just haven't gotten to it yet. I think I need to get off my butt and DO IT! :) My original plan was to make a trad mead, and then backsweeten with maple and stabilize. I want a fresh maple syrup flavor (if I had to pick a single favorite flavor -- not food, but flavor -- it would be maple syrup. Without question. I'd drink it by the glass if people didn't look at me weird LOL.)

One extra note: don't forget about fenugreek -- it's the primary flavoring component in anything maple-flavored that doesn't actually have maple in it. If you end up with a wine or mead that doesn't have the desired level/intensity of maple character, fenugreek can save the day.

Cheers, and good luck!

Yes, an acerglyn is a mead/maple syrup hybrid, whereas pure maple syrup is wine.

With an OG of 1110-1115, i'd expect you to finish out around 1000-1010.

My experience with maple syrup is...

when completely dry, it tastes very much like almonds, and is earthy. It has high tannins...as in, your lips will scrape across your teeth like a grindstone after a sip - IMHO, some sweetness is very necessary just to even perceive it as maple syrup.

I also found it to be a bit one-dimensional as just a pure wine. so for my last batch I felt a spiced acerglyn was in order.

I do not have access to fresh, high quality syrup, but find the prices at a place like Costco to be no different in cost than high quality local honey - in fact, it's often cheaper.

I do not have access to fresh, high quality syrup, but find the prices at a place like Costco to be no different in cost than high quality local honey - in fact, it's often cheaper.
I was lucky in that I have an acquaintance up in the area and I was able to get some good stuff straight from the sugar shack.

Honey is another thing, man the prices for good honey are going up! I've started a course on beekeeping, so next year I'll have a few hives. Fingers crossed on that one!

@Ty520 If you don't use DARK syrup I don't think you'll get nearly as good an end product. The dark stuff has a LOT more flavor to it than the 'amber' syrup.

I need to scout out some sugar shacks before end of fall so that I can see about getting some good and dark stuff from them when they're producing next season. I also need to contact some of the local apiaries to get some honey to make mead with.

@Ty520 If you don't use DARK syrup I don't think you'll get nearly as good an end product. The dark stuff has a LOT more flavor to it than the 'amber' syrup.

I need to scout out some sugar shacks before end of fall so that I can see about getting some good and dark stuff from them when they're producing next season. I also need to contact some of the local apiaries to get some honey to make mead with.

Yes, I only use the darkest i can acquire

Yes, I only use the darkest i can acquire
Back when I made the batch it was called "Grade B". They've changed what the designations are since then. Since I'm in the part of the country where sugar shacks live, I'll just talk with some to see about getting what I'd like. I figure finding out if I can get it before fall will be better than trying to find it when they're running. I can remind them as it gets closer to that time of year.

I tap a few maple trees- about 20 in a good year, and I've made acerglynn three times over the past 5 years. 1 gallon batches. In all cases I boil down sap until I get the OG I'm looking for, usually 1.105-1.100. I've used Red Star Cote des blanc, and EC-118 yeasts. ABV usually around 12.5-13%. First time it was just maple. Let it ferment in a bucket for two-three weeks (although it was done in 4-5 days), then racked to 1 G jug with an airlock. Reracked a couple times over a 3 month period until it stayed clear, then bottled without any additions. The result= a dry white wine with no maple flavor at all. Second time, I added vanilla, 1 cinnamon stick, and toasted maple wood chips toward the end of primary fermentation. I also added a little maple extract at 1st racking. This time there was some maple flavor and a much better product overall. Third time this year, was a poor year for sap production, so I had to add about 1 lb. of honey to get my OG up to 1.105. I did add vanilla and cinnamon, but used commercial bought oak cubes this time. I also stabilized, backsweetened with a little maple syrup (1/4 cup) , and added some tannin and a little acid blend at bottling. Bottled it about 1 month ago, and I like to leave it in bottles at least 6 months before trying, so we'll see eventually.

Back