Maple Pumpkin Ale idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wreck99

Wrecked Brewery
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Came across an extract recipe called Maple Pumpkin Ale (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/maple-pumpkin-ale-24249/) here on the forums and would like to try an AG version of it. I replied to that thread, but I don't think many people look there. It sounded interesting enough to me to try, so I'm looking for feedback. I don't have all that much experience in converting recipes in BeerSmith, but here's what I have so far based on the conversion it gave me. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. Never had a maple beer myself so I'm not even sure if that's too much maple.

Mash: 156F for 60 mins
8.0 lbs - Ger Pilsner 2-Row
1.5 lbs - Crystal 60
2x 29oz cans - Libby's Canned Pumpkin (One the Pie Mix to get some spice in there)
Pumpkin to be baked @ 350F 1/2 inch thick spread out on cookie sheet for a little toast, then added to mash.

Hop Additions:
0.5 oz - Hallertauer @ 60
0.5 oz - Fuggles @ 15

Boil:
2.0 lbs - Maple Syrup @ 15
1 tsp - Cinnamon @ 15
1 tsp - Nutmeg @ 15
1 tsp - Coriander Seed @ 15
1 tsp - Irish Moss @ 15

Yeast:
WYeast 1056 - American Ale

Stats:
Est OG = 1.066
Est FG = 1.007
IBU = 12.2
Est ABV = 7.8%
Color = 17.3 SRM

My thoughts are that's way too much spicing. I would go with tsp of each at boil and you can add more at packaging if its too subtle. I would also add the syrup near the end of boil.

My thoughts are that's way too much spicing. I would go with tsp of each at boil and you can add more at packaging if its too subtle. I would also add the syrup near the end of boil.

Thanks for the feedback. That makes sense. I updated my post. So, you don't think that's too much maple?

Never used maple. You could always cut that back too and use it for priming if you think it needs more. That said, on reading about maple syrup, there seems to be a lot more posts about not getting much taste out of it.

Let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

PS. I made a pumpkin spice last month and I used about 2lb of Munich (to replace some of the pale or pilsner) found it added a little complexity so that it wasn't just the Carmel of the crystal malt. The keg is gone now (three weeks early) so it seems to have turned out good.

my next brew is the Great Pumpkin imperial pumpkin ale from the latest issue of Zymurgy. OG of 1.118 and will end up at 13.5% abv

recipe calls for 1 lb maple syrup in the 5 gallon batch, but adding it 4 days into fermentation with some yeast nutrient. not sure if the flavor will come through more this way.

I have heard that to get maple flavor, it's best to use it when bottling. and <5 oz for that

PS. I made a pumpkin spice last month and I used about 2lb of Munich (to replace some of the pale or pilsner) found it added a little complexity so that it wasn't just the Carmel of the crystal malt. The keg is gone now (three weeks early) so it seems to have turned out good.

I replaced the 6-row & C60 in the Zymurgy recipe with MO & Munich.

Think I would eliminate the coriander completely, and cut the nutmeg in 1/2. Remember to the canned pumpkin has spices already.

I'd add the maple for bottling and if you want some late in boil.

Cheers.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'll let you know how this turns out. Planning on brewing this week. Edited the recipe to what I've decided to try based on everyone's feedback. Here's what I have now.

Mash: 156F for 60 mins
6.0 lbs - Ger Pilsner 2-Row
2.0 lbs - Munich
1.5 lbs - Crystal 60
2x 29oz cans - Libby's Canned 100% Pure Pumpkin
Pumpkin to be baked @ 350F 1/2 inch thick spread out on cookie sheet for a little toast, then added to mash.

Hop Additions:
0.5 oz - Hallertauer @ 60
0.5 oz - Fuggles @ 15

Boil:
1.0 lbs - Maple Syrup @ 15
1.0 tsp - Cinnamon @ 15
0.5 tsp - Nutmeg @ 15
1.0 tsp - Irish Moss @ 15

Yeast:
WYeast 1056 - American Ale

Additions:
Maple Syrup (@ Bottling to taste if necessary)

Can't wait to hear how this turns out. Consider throwing in a little allspice and/or cloves.

BTW, I went to a Latino grocery store and got Badia bagged whole cinnamon, cloves, allspice and nutmeg for dirt cheap then chopped it up in a food processor.

Back