Maple Porter Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adaml23

Reaction score
How does this recipe look for a maple porter:

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Maple Pecan Porter
Brewer: Gaggles of Cock
Asst Brewer:
Style: Brown Porter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0) Add ~ 2 lbs maple syrup (Grade B if possible) to secondary and let sit in there for at least 8 days

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 14.00 gal
Post Boil Volume: 12.00 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 9.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 25.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 26.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 80.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
16 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 75.0 %
2 lbs Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 2 9.1 %
1 lbs Carafa I (337.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.5 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.5 %
1 lbs Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.5 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6 2.3 %
0.0 oz Maple Syrup (35.0 SRM) Sugar 7 0.0 %
2.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 14.9 IBUs
2.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 9 11.5 IBUs
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 10 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 22 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 30.70 qt of water at 167.0 F 156.0 F 45 min

I'm not sure if i will use pecan or not yet in this recipe. I may just wait to see how nutty this batch turns out without the pecans and adjust on the next time we brew it up.

Thoughts? is 2 lbs of syrup too much into secondary? any other thought on the grains in there?

did you make this beer? was it good? the recipe look alright but I would have added half my maple syrup in primary and the rest in secondary to avoid exploding bottle because as far as I know maple syrup does not ferment 100%

That looks similar to what I made (in secondary now). I am thinking of bottle conditioning with maple syrup because it isnt shining through like I wanted.

Good luck.

lol... no we didnt end up making this yet. I was supposed to be getting some maple sap from someone i knew to use for the water but they went to FL for spring breaka nd when they got back, the trees were done producing for the year... darn it. and its getting a little far into spring for us to make a porter now. we've got some other recipes were wanting to make (for seasonality purposes) so this will prolly be brewed in the late summer timeframe now for fall. we are gonna just brew it with syrup now and prolly gonna use the recipe we got here.

VonRunkel: did you decide to bottle? we're just getting into kegging but are thinking that we'll just bottle this brew when we get to it. let me know how yours turns out, and could you maybe throw your recipe up in this thread and any tasting comments on it when its done so i (or anyone reading this thread) can compare our recipes

I haven't got my kegging equipment yet, so I will be bottling.

I can throw something up here to help you along. Im waiting on some grade B syrup though. If you dont hear from me in a couple week, pm me and remind me.

This may help your bottling calculations. Maple syrup is defined as 66% sugar by weight, 33% water and other substances. That is the minimum allowable percent of sugar for it to be labeled as syrup. http://maple.dnr.cornell.edu/FAQ.htm
The sugar is mostly sucrose and entirely fermentable.

IMO, maple syrup is too expensive to add in mass quantities before fermentation simply to raise the alcohol and get a tiny bit of flavor. I tried bottle priming with syrup and the flavor pretty much disappeared when it was done carbonating.

I then tried natural concentrated maple flavoring before fermenting and had better luck. The fermentation does odd things with the flavoring, a tiny bit can go a long way. If I did it again I would test-run gallon batches simultaneously and flavor them at different strengths.

Epimethius, sir, I have a question bout your priming with maple syrup in this batch. I just moments ago added 8 oz of syrup to my primary of a sap-based imperial maple brown. before this add at high kreasen, the OG was 1.100, so it's up there. first maple in was 11 oz. at 2 min. Before flameout .

I fully expect the maple grade B to bubble out the airlock, which is why the late and extra additions. Priming with maple will be the kicker.

With your far more vast experience can you please guide me to a suitable quantity of maple syrup to properly carb this ale. For an easy example, I would like to get to something a hair more carbed than a Newcastle, just a hair.

Thank you for your time and thoughts,

Steve

Back