Maple Chicory Wee Heavy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougdecinces

Reaction score
My fiancee came back today after a weekend at her parents' house. They are friends with an artisanal maple syrup producer so she surpised me with two 12 oz bottles of maple syrup--regular grade B amber and a dark syrup. Of course I have to make a beer out of it. I also have some roasted chicory root I dug up from the vacant lot behind my house. The dark syrup has a toffee-like, mollasses aroma and flavor and I thought that and the chicory would complement a wee heavy greatly. I would brew this probably in August to have ready by Christmas. I'm hoping to get feedback and help refining my recipe.

I'm borrowing heavily from niquejim's recipe. I like the simplicity of it and it will hopefully allow the maple and chicory flavors to shine through. This will be a 2.75 gal batch.

Maple Chicory Wee Heavy
1.076 OG, 1.019 FG, 29 IBU, ~16-18 SRM

WY 1335 - British Ale II (it's what I have)

8 lb Golden Promise
3 oz roast barley
1.5 oz peat smoked malt
5 oz dark maple syrup (in secondary)
Dark maple syrup for priming

Withdraw 1/2 gallon of the wort and boil down to a syrup and reintroduce it to the remaining wort.

Palisade - 0.5 oz @ 45M
Fuggle - 0.5 oz @ 15M
0.5 oz chicory ground, cold pressed, and added at bottling

Latest posts

Back