Many American pro brewers claim they use British yeast but...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azura

Reaction score
Most of them completely suppress the esters commonly associated with many British yeasts. This makes me wonder why they use them as their #1 house strain. Can anyone tell me why?

Second request is to name American brewers that use British yeast for the purpose of celebrating the esters. I can only name one.

Fast fermentations and many are strong flocculators. Quick turn over and clear beer.
That said, even when fermenting colder, they leave a more complex flavor profile than the chico yeast.

Good answer, but it's possible to ferment below 68F with many British yeasts and still get more esters than the typical American pro brewer using British yeast provides. Very few American pros do it even with their British style beers. It's true their results have more character than Chico which isn't hard to do. Basically, everything has more character than Chico.

Lagunitas is one major pro brewer using 1968. They are pumping out the esters to enhance the aroma of the hops. Most of the fruity aroma comes from the yeast. The contribution of 1968 is cherry and pineapple in their hoppy beers. The rest of the aroma is the cheapest dank hop they can buy like Apollo plus some easy to achieve hop derived citrus.

Firestone Walker and Creature Comforts both use basically 1968. I’m sure both use it for esters as well as quick turnaround and bright beers.

Alchemist is obviously using Conan for its peach esters among other things.

Firestone Walker and Creature Comforts both use basically 1968. I’m sure both use it for esters as well as quick turnaround and bright beers.

Alchemist is obviously using Conan for its peach esters among other things.

Firestone is an excellent brewery. I like most of their beers a lot. Very clean and well made. Long shelf life. However, the potential esters of 1968 are not obvious in any of the 10+ beers I've had from Firestone including their former flagship ESB which has disappeared from broad distribution in several markets.

Only problem w English yeasts is the need for additional diacetyl control, but generally the extended maturation period coincides with a dry hop rest/stand.
Definitely 2nd the clean drop of 1968. That stuff floccs hard

I would bet if you had any Firestone beer next to the same beer brewed with Chico you’d notice a difference.

Alot of west coast pacific northwest IPA brewers use 1968. There is probably a family tree that can be created to trace back to somewhere. Firestone would be a good place to start.

Back