Man it feels good!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sissy907

Reaction score
I have my wild blackberry/blueberry in the secondary ready to rack into a new carboy to finish clearing and my watermelon/peach in the primary. :rockin:

Wonder what to do next? I have two 3 gallon fermenters and a 6 1/2 gallon sitting there looking SO lonely... I love my wine sweet, if I could drink Eiswein by the vat, forever, I would be a happy happy woman!

I have a friend that has pears, persimmons, and I think Muscadine grapes growing on her property, just don't know how to match them up with anything else. Suggestions?

~Alli

Alli - wines that have no residual sugar are dry and wines that have residual sugar are sweet. Neither option means the wine is good or not good. You can make a great dry wine or a terrible wine that is dry from the same fruit, and you can make a great sweet wine or a terrible wine that is sweet from the same fruit. The question is what kind of wine are you trying to make and what kind of wine do you prefer. A great sweet wine may taste terrible to someone who only likes their wines bone dry and a great dry wine may taste awful to someone who only drinks sweet wines...

I am a sweet wine kinda girl. Red wines actually give me nasty headaches, but my first wine, of course, was a red (wild blackberry/blueberry). I am excited to try it and will suck it up if it gives me a headache because I am just so excited to have brewed my first wine.... And ya know, I had huge access to bags of fresh frozen wild blackberries my girlfriend had picked near her property.
I have loads of pears, persimmons, and muscadine grapes coming up in the near future. Just dunno what to do with them. I have honestly never eaten or even seen a persimmon. But I will take any free fruit I can get my hands on to make some yummy wines. Suggestions totally welcome!

~Alli

I just used pears but I added a mango. I followed Jack Kellers recipe. He has a lot of info and recipes for those interested in non grape wines.
I didn't sweeten mine but I think it would have tasted fine if I had.

Back