Maltodextrin to offset cane sugar 'thinning'?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDubb

Reaction score
So I've decided to get creative and modify my next batch recipe. It's an IPA and is based off of a TrueBrew kit. I'm adding some sugar to up the ABV., increasing the boil, and adding another oz. of aroma hops to up the IBUs.

Due to logistical constraints, I was unable to secure additional malt so I'm going with the next best thing: cane sugar. I'm fine with this but I've read that using white sugar can 'thin' out the final product. I've got about 6 ounces of leftover maltodextrin from my previous brew and figured this might help balance things out.

With a 1.5 gal boil going into a 5 gal batch, how much maltodextrin should I use? I don't want to overdo it, just make sure that my beer doesn't come out... lacking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

I wouldn't use any, at least not until the beer is finished. IPAs are relatively thin bodied anyway.

After the beer is finished, if it's too thin you can always add malto-dextrine to the bottling bucket and use it then.

Latest posts

Back