Malted GF grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffd907

Reaction score
I have recently found a company that sells malted millet and buckwheat in different roasts. I ordered 75lbs to play with and brewed my first all-grain on national homebrewers day. Took longer than standard mashes but everything worked with a couple of minor issues to tweak for next time. But I now have an all-grain orange honey wit fermenting well in the ferminator. So anyone interested in all-grain GF brewing Grouse Malting and Roasting company in Colorado is the place. They only malt GF grains so no issues of cross contamination. Malts are tasty and sweet.

Whoring out for Twila. I can get down with that. :p

+1 for them doing a great job!

Actually no, it took me two months to find only two companies that sell GF malted grains, Colorado malting has a cross contamination probability since they do regular malts, not to mention the rude customer service. It took a bit of waiting to finally hear from Grouse but then getting the grains and brewing with them, Wow. I don't think I'll use sorghum extract much anymore. No chance in cross contamination since these malts are all they process and sell. I'm just a young medically retired Firefighter in Cali that tends to go all out when doing something. I toasted my own buckwheat groats for my first brew. Then by my second I had malted a small batch of buckwheat groats and used them each time my beer got smoother and better tasting so I sought out malted grain company(it's difficult malting these grains at home😞) with only two in the US (that I can find), and the customer service issues with the GF Brewmeister at Colorado Malting, i will only use Grouse. I also didn't have two wait up to 4 weeks for specialty malts as you do with Colorado malting, got everything they sell within a week 75 lbs worth in 5, 10 & 25lb bags. So this recommendation is based on a lot of research and phone calls to other malt companies that put GF grains on there website but say they have no yet started that. Grouse is my company of choice.

Mine too. I had a very similar experience. They work crazy hard over at Grouse and it shows. That's the way to run a business!

Let Twila know. She is always looking for feedback and testomonials.

I recently ordered from both CMC and Grouse and had good (if slow) results from each. No problems with either, and the customer service from both was fine. Surprisingly they both have about the same order process too, sending your order via email or online comment form, with Intuit for payment instead of PayPal or whatever. CMC does accept credit cards though, while Grouse does not. Saves Twila from handing 3% to the CC man I guess.

+1 for Grouse
I had an incredible experience dealing with their company. I called the number on their website and within two days the owner, Twila, called me back. I was all set to just give her the information of what I wanted to order but she started off asking me what my experience was and talking about various different mashing methods and what I planned to do. I was really impressed that she took the time to talk to me about all of this and continued to do so through our ordering process. If anyone is debating trying them out I would highly highly recommend this company and their products.

Exactly what she did for me. The exact opposite for Colorado malting, I called and asked questions, not noob questions, just mashing questions and amylase enzyme questions so I could correctly calculate my OG and get the most out of my grist. They suggest on their website to double the grain bill for millet? Huh? Also with very question just silence, I ask if I could talk with someone that might answer my questions and I was told " maybe you should do some more research." I was floored and the only thing I could do was hang up on the guy. That's no way to sell a product, and that's exactly why I will always order from Grouse they know what customer service is all about especially with a new product like malted millet and only two companies that make and sell it to the public.

Super glad they are doing what they're doing. The millet beer (or Bantu, I suppose) is absolutely great. It's the only "beer" the wife wants to drink anymore. There's a few extra steps which take me a few extra hours, but it's nice to finally get her a high quality all-grain instead of fooling around with sorghum and rice extracts.

Edit: Heavens, that sounded snobby. Truth be told, the sorghum extract beer I was making for her was great. It was a terrific match with Citra hops and was a first-rate summer ale. The millet beer did, however, make her go "Oooooo!"

Ah, not snobby. Most agree that millet beers are the way to go. A lot have trouble getting their hands on it. It also requires a huge amount of extra work. Personally, I will never go back. Now I sound snobby. :D

Glad to see this is really working for people. Now we just need to get a few on the market. :fro:

We at Three Spires Brewing Co work very closely with Twila and Grouse Malting & Roasting. She produces some great malted grain and we get the exciting opportunity to test out some of her new roasts as she develops them.

Her grains have allowed us to produce an excellent Saison along with a wonderful Oatmeal Stout.

Hello....I'm going to order some medium and dark roast millet malt from Grouse soon but I've never brewed with millet before. Should I use about the same amount of millet malt for a five gallon batch as I would barley malt if I was still using barley?

Hello....I'm going to order some medium and dark roast millet malt from Grouse soon but I've never brewed with millet before. Should I use about the same amount of millet malt for a five gallon batch as I would barley malt if I was still using barley?

You'll need to use about 1/3 to 1/2 more millet than barley because the extract potential is lower.

You also need to adjust your processes and mashing scheme because the gelatinization temps are higher for millet and buckwheat (high 160s) than barley (around 150) but these temps denature the amylase enzymes that's break the starches into fermentable sugars. This will cause your efficiency to go down at least until you get the process dialed in, which means you need more millet to compensate.

In short you need more. My advice would be to go for 1.5 times the barley and then adjust from there for your next batch.

Just talked to Colorado Malting Co myself and the gentleman I talked to was super nice and very interested in what I was doing. I'm not purely GF, going to mash 15lbs of millet with 5lbs of 2 row for extra enzymes. Then toss some honey and hops and see what i get. My only concern is that the millet has a higher gelatinization temp so should I do a reverse step mash. Say 165 at 30 minutes for the millet to help make things less gummy, then bring down the temp to 150 and the add the two row for better fermentability?

Back