Malta India Beer Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boatcapt

Reaction score
One of the benefits of living in Puerto Rico is that Malta is readily available at ANY store! For those uninitiated, Malta is a sickingly sweet, highly carbonated drink that is sold typically in 7 or 12 ounce bottles. I've used this stuff as an EASY and cheep yeast starter (6-pack of 12-ounce bottles goes for $3.99). Standard practice is to water it down 50/50 to get a ball park gravity and your good to go. As it is aseptic, as long as you use boiled water as the mix, there is no need to boil to kill any critters that might do any manner of unspeakable acts to your little baby yeasties. As a yeast starter, this stuff is GREAT.

Got to thinking and wondering what this stuff would taste like if you made a full on beer from it? There are tantalizing threads here and else were describing what malta tastes like just letting the yeast run their course, but nothing describing what the results of a full on brew would taste like. CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

So here's what I did. Got me a 12-pack of 12-ounce Malta India (they were out of Malta Goya) at a total cost of $7.98. Stopped by my local home brew store and brought .25 oz of Hallertau and .25 oz of Tettnanger. Brought some other "stuff" (Why is it that I don't seem to ever be able to leave the brew store with out a bag of "stuff" that I didn't even realize I needed until I stepped through the door??!!) so I don't recall off hand the price of the hops but I think it was about $3.00 (maybe??).

Got home with my $11.00 beer "kit" and set to work. Dumped 11 bottles (roughly 1 gallon) of the Malta India into my brew kettle with an equal amount of water and lit the fire. As the only reason I was boiling at all was to get the hops into the beer, I decided that 40 minutes would be just fine. Did a 5 minute pre-boil to get ride of the CO2 from the malta (dam!!! That is some FIZZY stuff), set the timer on 40 and mixed in the Hallertau...20 minutes later in went the Tettnanger...then at 5 minutes before nock off some Irish moss and yeast nutrients. Cooled it in a cold water bath to about 75 degrees.

For the yeast I chose some Dogfish Head yeast that I had cloned from a bottle of their unfiltered 75 minute IPA. I know, Dogfish uses a priming yeast that is different than the regular brewing yeast but as the 75 minute was unfiltered before it was bottle conditioned, I chose to believe there are some baby Dogfish'ies swimming around among the priming yeast cousins!! Besides, I had the yeast sitting in my fridge and it was the first container I grabbed. About 20 minutes before I started brewing the main, I wipped up 1 cup of 50/50 malta from the 12'th bottle. Thought I was going to have to wait for the yeast to take off but MAN, I most certainly did NOT. Put an airlock on this and it was chugging away in about 20 minutes.

Transferred my boil to my carboy, aerated with my pump for about 20 minutes, pitched my yeast, installed the airlock and into my "climate controlled" brewing room. Checked on it about an hour later and it was bubbling along happily...Same this morning when I got up.

So what am I going for? I read some posts that said that the Malta Goya kind of tasted like a Bock so that is kind of what I'm shooting for (I know, Bocks aren't ales but then, they PROBABLY don't use Malta India as their wort so...). I wanted it to be a malt forward brew with citrusy hops in the background just to provide some background and balance out the malt taste.

So will this taste any good? I don't know. It smelled good on the boil but I've had some pretty bad beers that smelled good in the brew kettle.

A good day brewing beats walking around and doing almost anything in the rain (did I mention it was raining yesterday?) and for a total outlay of about $11.00, I figured it was worth a try to answer a question that was bothering me and MAYBE 3 or 4 other people on this board!

Pretty crazy you'd write this the day I was thinking the same thing. I think it was on sale in a flyer or something, thus the idea.. Well. Let us know! I agree that Malta is sickeningly sweet, I can't finish one.

What's the difference between Malta Goya and Malta India?

I saw Malta Goya in a Mexican grocery store the other day and remembered hearing that people used it as a starter, but I'd never tried it. I probably will now.

What's the difference between Malta Goya and Malta India?

I saw Malta Goya in a Mexican grocery store the other day and remembered hearing that people used it as a starter, but I'd never tried it. I probably will now.
I would imagine the "formula" is different between the two...kind of like Coke and Pepsi. The ingredients are Barley malt, water, hops and caramel color. I would imagine it is the ration of each that might be slightly different, but at the end of the day, not really much difference between the two.

I almost exclusively use the "big 3(?)" of maltas, Goya, India and Polar, as my yeast starter. I mix it 50/50 with some boiled water and it works great. Malta is dark so you might have issues with smaller batches of light colored beers but I haven't really noticed a change even in my 2.5 gallon blonds.

Pretty crazy you'd write this the day I was thinking the same thing. I think it was on sale in a flyer or something, thus the idea.. Well. Let us know! I agree that Malta is sickeningly sweet, I can't finish one.
Seems to be something that a few people have asked about but I couldn't find any threads were it was done. There are some random threads on the inter-web were people have carried their malta starter through to completion and then drank it but none that I could find were malta was specifically used as the total constituent of the wort, hops were added to achieve a particular profile, fermented then conditioned. I know malta is cheep and that might have scared some purists off from trying. But hey, I ain't no purist and I was curious! If I can get a decent session beer for 46 cents per bottle, I'm think that that is a good thing!!

If this is halfway decent, I would think would be able to add complexity by doing some specialty grain additions and varying the hops and yeast. Of course that would drive up the price per bottle.

Signing up to this thread...Moved out of PR 7 years ago and everytime I see a Malta India in a store I have to get it, I might have to try the India starter, very interesting.

Is the brewing scene down there getting better? Last time I visited home I saw a pretty nice brewing store in Carolina, bought a couple of pyrex carboys.

Signing up to this thread...Moved out of PR 7 years ago and everytime I see a Malta India in a store I have to get it, I might have to try the India starter, very interesting.

Is the brewing scene down there getting better? Last time I visited home I saw a pretty nice brewing store in Carolina, bought a couple of pyrex carboys.
It's getting better. Generally PR runs a couple of years behind the big trends (except women's cloths, the ladies have got that wired down here!!). The craft beer scene has really taken off over the last two years. I can think of four different craft breweries that have opened over that time and are producing some mighty fine products. Likewise home brewing is really on the rise. But what is holding that back a little is brew supply stores. Not a whole lot of those around and the ones that there are are somewhat limited on what they stock. It's getting better but there just isn't the variety of ingredients outside of the usual stuff.

Definately interested in the results. I have used Malta Goya as a starter more than a few times since I always have it around the house anyway.

Just a quick update on the progress. Day 5 in the primary and fermentation has slowed a lot over the last 24-hours. Down to a little less than 4 bubbles per minute on a 2.5 gallon batch. The Krausen got to about 2-3 inches at about 24-hours and fell at about 72-hours. Nice thick layer of traub/yeast has formed so I'm guessing primary fermentation is just about over. I'll probably leave it for a couple more days and then rack to secondary for a week or maybe two of conditioning. I'll give it a little taste when I rack it and let you know if it seems like it is going to end up south or north of Micheslob Amber Bock.

Malta India Bock went into the secondary Saturday (7/27). Some initial reactivation for a couple of hours but that died out quickly. VERY little activity for the last three days...maybe one bubble every few minutes. Think I'll bottle it tomorrow night. Color looks to be a nice rich brown. In keeping with the Bock theme, I'm going to shoot for about 2.2 atmospheres on the CO2.

OG was a little below what I wanted at .030. I wanted to be in the .040 range. If I do this again, I'll reduce my water. I went with a 1 to 1 malta to water mix based on what I had read and what I use for my yeast starter. If there is a next time, I'll probably start at a 2 to 1 add pre boiled water by the pint until I get to the right OG range.

I think even at this lower OG I'll be able to make a determination on weather to drink it or dump it...and weather it is worthy of a second try.

How does it taste so far?
I took a small taste of the wort when I was transferring it to the primary and I tasted OK. I was in the middle of brewing a different batch when I transferred it to secondary and didn't even think of pulling a sample to taste. It smells good...not award winning...but good. First think I'm going to do when I transfer it to my bottling bucket tomorrow or Friday is to pull off a taster before I put in my priming sugar. I've got a really modest goal here...all I want is a decent session/party beer. At 45 cents per bottle, the price is right but if I learned anything drinking all that Genesse growing up...PRICE ain't everything!!!

Bottled on Thursday. Rich red/brown in color. FG was .994 (WOW!!) which gives me a ABV of 4.7. Took a sample to taste. Taste is simple and dry. Not bad but not what I expected/wanted. In future batches I'll probably put about 8 oz of Munich in my grain bill to add a little complexity. Also will pump up the hops a bit with a shift to Perle for flavor and Halertau for finishing...maybe bump the quantity up just a bit also. Won't go over the top on either (grain or hop quantity)...the point of this experiment was to produce an inexpensive session bock style beer.

The current problem is that the yeast apparently flocculated completely out. This was about the clearest beer I've ever brewed coming out of the secondary!! Primed with three tablespoons of sucrose (2 gallon batch size) and bottles. Did the "plastic coke bottle" to check carbonization progress. 2+ days and there is ZERO action so far. Anyone have any suggestions? Think I might have to open each bottle and put in some viable yeast to finish the process.

Last post to update/close this thread.

The Malta Bock did bottle carb a little after about a month. The beer itself is pretty plain but I guess that is what I expected. Tastes kind of like a "light" blonde ale might taste if one ever wanted to make such a thing. It's OK as a just got home from work and I'm trying to figure out what I want to do sort of beer. I'd classify it as a good base to build a low cost session bock style ale off of. It would be much better with some additional malts to give it some complexity and more hops to give it a little bite.

So I guess the answer is you can brew an OK ale from Malta. Certainly not something you want to put in a contest or even serve to your beer snob friends but your bud, miller and coors drinking friends would probably think they had died and gone to heaven if you gave it to them on Sunday watching the big game!

Boat capt, would you be interested in doing some beer swaps? I can send you some New England beers (can even try to get some heady topper), and you send me some Puerto Rico crafts?

me dejas saber, y suerte con el brewing en Puerto Rico!

Eugenio

Thanks for the update on this. My uncle likes malta. I had always wondered what would happen if you brewed with it.

Boat capt, would you be interested in doing some beer swaps? I can send you some New England beers (can even try to get some heady topper), and you send me some Puerto Rico crafts?

me dejas saber, y suerte con el brewing en Puerto Rico!

Eugenio

Saludos Eugenio,

I've never done a beer swap but I'm willing to learn! PM me and we can discuss particulars.

Thanks for the update on this. My uncle likes malta. I had always wondered what would happen if you brewed with it.
Your uncle likes it??!! Geeeeeezzzz!! :drunk:

Like I said, kind of basic by itself but I would imagine you could make something pretty good with just a little specialty grains and just a little heavier on the hops.

Going to try harvesting and isolating some wild PR yeast in a couple of days. That should be interesting!!

Got to thinking and wondering what this stuff would taste like if you made a full on beer from it?

Will kind of taste like Yeungling. It's sweet because it's essentially unfermented wort.

Back