Malt Science - Let's mix things up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lopsy

Reaction score
So let's say I really wanted to get into the difference of my grain from batch to batch. I.e. different harvests, malt procedures... etc. and how it affects brewing. I only use Belgium Pilsner right now and for the foreseeable future. Trying to hone in a Belgian table beer recipe. No special malts, just pilsner and clear candi syrup. So I thought it a good time to track grain differences. I currently use Dingemans.

Does anyone have any resources on a way to go about this? I've seen malt data sheets before, but what should I be looking for? And should I just call Cargill and ask them for grain info?

I guess I'm just wondering if any of you with experience with this could chime in and tell me your attack plans.

Lopsy

Understanding malt analysis sheets

I've got a decent understands of a malt analysis sheet - but I don't worry about it very much. I do step mashes and might change my rest time a little, but generally don't bother. I go mostly based on flavor of the final product. I use only pilsner malts as well and have two that I have settled on based on their taste. One of them gives me a bit more fuller flavor so I use that for richer flavored lagers. The other has a nice malt flavor that I use for my cleaner lagers, and ales (mostly Belgian, but also Kolsch, IPA)

Understanding malt analysis sheets

I've got a decent understands of a malt analysis sheet - but I don't worry about it very much. I do step mashes and might change my rest time a little, but generally don't bother. I go mostly based on flavor of the final product. I use only pilsner malts as well and have two that I have settled on based on their taste. One of them gives me a bit more fuller flavor so I use that for richer flavored lagers. The other has a nice malt flavor that I use for my cleaner lagers, and ales (mostly Belgian, but also Kolsch, IPA)

Thanks for the link. Ya that's what I would expect, but knowledge is power.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks for the link. Ya that's what I would expect, but knowledge is power.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That's the perfect link. If you like that, you'll love New Brewing Lager (also by Noonan) -from the title you wouldn't expect it to be one of the best approachable (and cheap) sources on malt but it is -at least until the BP Malt book comes out this Spring.

The German / lager tradition is all about the malt / malt management, just as the Belgian tradition is very yeast-management-focused, and neo-American brewing is all about the hops. Learning about each brewing angle / tradition and ingredients and processes and understanding the differences helps you become a better brewer, IMHO.

Adam

Back